Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about building a red laser.

lJakel

You did help actually. I would have fired it up. Although, I'm confused about the test load. Im about to order the driver but i cannot find the test load you are referring to.

PS. i took the focusing lens off the Sled and mounted it to my iPhone 4s... and acheived a 3/4 focus range macro at f2.4
macro.jpg

Last edited:

holy shit, that is some macro shot! um, you dont really need the test load, but it would help to know what mA your driving it at, you can skip it if you want, just get the groove driver and soldering iron and solder. thats about it. but when soldering to your pins, make sure you know which is + and which is -. also, dont keep the soldering iron on the pins too long, as this will kill the diode

lJakel

holy shit, that is some macro shot! um, you dont really need the test load, but it would help to know what mA your driving it at, you can skip it if you want, just get the groove driver and soldering iron and solder. thats about it. but when soldering to your pins, make sure you know which is + and which is -. also, dont keep the soldering iron on the pins too long, as this will kill the diode
So basically I adjust the mA which is what the Pot produces (right?) until it runs up to the peak point then turn it down slightly to keep from cooking the diode. I have an iron and solder so I should be good to go. Then if i wanted to determine the mW i would have to get a tool to do that, correct?

you got it!. but you would have to unconnect the wires from the diode, attach them to the test load, and get a mulitmater and do something, measure across 2 points, but im not too sure on that bit. but i would just leave the test load stuff out. and thats about it.
have fun and good luck

lJakel

I keep finding new things on my sled.. it came from this if you were interested

LH-18A1H

I found the shell sitting in a box of pc parts.

ahh thanks, but like i said, im not too interested in a red right now. but good luck with your first build, its much more ambitious than mine