Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about Adafruit 650nm Red Dot Laser

emarti13

Hello all,

I apologize for upfront if this has been asked before (I tried searching and didn't find any results that answered me completely) or is in the wrong forum (I tried looking through the relevant ones and this seemed to be the most appropriate based on the question).

Project Goal - 5 individual Red dot lasers to be used continuously (~12 hours/day or less) for ~2 weeks for alignment purposes in an assembly setting. I thought this would be a simple circuit build and then as I read through the internet to learn more I became confused.

I have purchased 5 of these laser modules: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1054 and I am trying to understand if I need to build an additional current regulator circuit, such as an LM317 circuit, or if these are supposed to just hook up to power as is stated in the product description because they have an integrated driver? I haven't gotten a direct answer from the company, can't find a tech data sheet, and now am unsure of what I need to do to make these work.

My original plan was to have each laser be on an individual circuit with a switch and 2xAAA batteries but I don't want to damage the laser diodes if that is too much current.

Any support would be greatly appreciated and any suggestions or feedback on the overall plan would also be welcomed. These do not have to be intense lasers, just provide a dot as a guide for a short period of time for a one-off project.

Thank you.

GSS

All they need is a 3V supply to the wires with 2 AAs, or AAA's.. You can run also run a 3.7v to 4.2V lithium cell.
I believe you can find them cheaper from Axis..

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
The description states that the driver is included, so no additional regulation should be needed, just add 3 to 5 VDC, and you should be good to go.

Reactions: GSS

emarti13

Thank you both for the quick replies, this brings me some relief.

GSS - Thank you also for the suggestion of Axis. I noticed that after the order was placed and will take into account for future purchases.

Reactions: GSS
"They can be driven from 2.8V to 5.2V " so 2 alkaline cells is insufficient as they're not empty until 0.8V. 1.4V is nearly full, so you'll use a mere 5% of the cell capacity before your devices dim too much.

Three alkaline cells, three NiMH cells, or a single lithium cell would all work.