Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pulled apart my Sony DRU-510A

Im kinda of new at the laser hobby, but not technically retarded. I pulled apart my CD\DVD drive (yes, both read/write) and I pulled the two diodes off of the sled. . I understand that I have to unsolder the tiny board from the back of the diodes. Now, with it being said... you cant just put a power supply to the correct leads on the diode and expect to work (or last very long). So I assume you put a "driver" between the power supply and laser diode to more regulate the power, right?

Is there a driver on the sled that I pulled the diodes from?

Will I need to salvage any optics from the sled?

I also have two other laser diodes.. both from laser aiming devices for airsoft guns.. one is a class IIIA and the other is class II. Could I use any components from those?

I will modify and post pics of what I have in the next day or so.

Thanks

OK. First, welcome.

You need to figure out which diode is the red one; fair easy as it'll have a bigger heatsink.
No there isn't a usable driver on the sled. You can get some optics but they aren't neccesary; buy a 12x30mm Aixiz module from http://www.mfgcn.com and you can quite easily build a driver (search 'DIY laser diode driver' up top corner).

All you need for the diode to power up is a current regulator. If you have a regulated bench PSU, hook it up with a capacitor in parallel (at zero amps) and slowly turn it up until it gets hot fast. 100mA is safe; if it's 16x or near 150-200mA should be good.