Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ps2 possibilities?

Portal

I'm just recently getting interested in lasers and while I'm saving up for an Envee 100, I would like to get into some homemade stuff in order to get a better understanding of the workings of lasers. As such, I just so happen to have a broken Ps2, with a completely undamaged diode. Would this be useful in making a homemade laser, and if so does anyone have any helpful info or instructions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

S

SenKat

Portal said:
I'm just recently getting interested in lasers and while I'm saving up for an Envee 100, I would like to get into some homemade stuff in order to get a better understanding of the workings of lasers.  As such, I just so happen to have a broken Ps2, with a completely undamaged diode.  Would this be useful in making a homemade laser, and if so does anyone have any helpful info or instructions.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nope :( The diode in there is a low-power red diode...most likely around 5-10mw. The diode you would want would be from a dvd-burner ! Check out the thread on "dvd-burner, anyone" for more details. They are a BLAST to make !

Portal

Ah well, too bad. Guess I'll just have to save it in case my other Ps2 breaks. Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I'll start looking for a DVD burner to use now.