Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problem with Spartan laser 445nm 1W

I purchased this laser a year ago and haven't been using it too much these last months. Anyway, I wanted to use it again today and noticed the beam wasn't very bright. So I charged the batteries, and then the beam would appear very bright, then it would turn off. If I pressed the switch again, the same would happen. A few minutes later, it just stopped working.
I don't think it could be the batteries fault since I always used the same rechargeable ones.
I wanted to open it, but after taking the top cap off, I have no idea about how to take out the inside. Is it just by pressure? How do you exactly take it out? Thanks.

I have had no personal experience with any spartan or hulk series lasers, but by you describing the problem, it seems like you may have a short or a driver malfunction inside the laser. Have you tried bypassing the tailcap? You can do this with a small piece of wire by touching one end to the battery and the other to the case. Then we can eliminate that problem. After that, you may want to contact the company you purchased the laser from. If that does not work, you may want to send it to a member here who can revive your dead laser, for a price of course. It wont be NEARLY as getting a company to repair it.

Good luck, sorry to hear about your problem :(

:beer:
-Matt

I have had no personal experience with any spartan or hulk series lasers, but by you describing the problem, it seems like you may have a short or a driver malfunction inside the laser. Have you tried bypassing the tailcap? You can do this with a small piece of wire by touching one end to the battery and the other to the case. Then we can eliminate that problem. After that, you may want to contact the company you purchased the laser from. If that does not work, you may want to send it to a member here who can revive your dead laser, for a price of course. It wont be NEARLY as getting a company to repair it.

Good luck, sorry to hear about your problem :(

:beer:
-Matt

Thanks for the fast reply, Matt. I did already try to bypass the tailcap and even the batteries with a power supply my brother has, and couldn't get it to work.

Edit: I could take out the inside just now, and connected the power supply directly to it. A red led would lit, showing that the circuit's still working, but the beam wont come out.

Last edited:
When I looked at this, I thought, what are the chances someone else would take pictures of their broken spartan on a hubble space telescope book just like mine. then I realized you used my picture. Some people would be mad to not be asked permission but I don't care.

i can tell you Dragonlasers will only recommend sending it back, which is expensive, after the repair and shipping both ways you could have had a new laser.

That ring in the picture is the one you see when you look down the business end of the spartan, you need to get something in those little holes to unscrew it, then the module slides out. dont try to unscrew the brass module without removing the driver fist or you will twist the wires off of the diode's pins. you can ignore this completely if you have no intention of repairing it yourself.

The problem sounds driver related, though I could be wrong. I'd say try to find a member here who lives in the same country and does builds. The spartan isn't so complicated and I'm sure someone could replace a driver easily, and probably the diode too if need be. actually, if it were me now, I'd try to find out which diode the spartan uses, order a driver that puts out the current that diode needs, with 6 Volts in (the spartan uses 2X 3 volt battries, most custom builds use 2X 3.7 volts), and try to put it on yourself. If you are lucky you may be able to get the exact driver the spartan uses, and only need a soldering iron, if not, you may need to find a way to mount the new driver

When I looked at this, I thought, what are the chances someone else would take pictures of their broken spartan on a hubble space telescope book just like mine. then I realized you used my picture. Some people would be mad to not be asked permission but I don't care.

i can tell you Dragonlasers will only recommend sending it back, which is expensive, after the repair and shipping both ways you could have had a new laser.

That ring in the picture is the one you see when you look down the business end of the spartan, you need to get something in those little holes to unscrew it, then the module slides out. dont try to unscrew the brass module without removing the driver fist or you will twist the wires off of the diode's pins. you can ignore this completely if you have no intention of repairing it yourself.

The problem sounds driver related, though I could be wrong. I'd say try to find a member here who lives in the same country and does builds. The spartan isn't so complicated and I'm sure someone could replace a driver easily, and probably the diode too if need be. actually, if it were me now, I'd try to find out which diode the spartan uses, order a driver that puts out the current that diode needs, with 6 Volts in (the spartan uses 2X 3 volt battries, most custom builds use 2X 3.7 volts), and try to put it on yourself. If you are lucky you may be able to get the exact driver the spartan uses, and only need a soldering iron, if not, you may need to find a way to mount the new driver

Oh my apologies, I really wouldn't think you'd mind but I understand.
I already tested the driver by itself and it works. The problem seems to be the diode, so I'll try to buy one from a member of these forums if possible.
I don't think I'd be able to find anyone from my country really, since I'm from Argentina. Shipping to the US would be expensive aswell, so I'd be better off just buying the diode myself.
Thanks a lot and sorry again for using the picture.