Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power a laser with a laser..??..

So ive been reading all over here on how to build a driver for my projects. The thing is in reference to=== http://www.rog8811.com/LM317%20components01.jpg?0.35312663627278806
Where it says to use one 10ohm resistor, i was curious if you could solder a photocell in place of and to act as the 10ohm resistor? My reason is to see if i could turn another laser on from a distance using another laser. Any feedback or knowledge to feed my craving mind would be appreciated.:bowdown:

yes you could, its been done before for burgular alarms etc, when you step in front of the laser the light is blocked and the photocell receives no light and alarms (though you want to do it in reverse). it would be possible with the right parts

aXit

The lowest resistance in LDR (light dependant resistors) in commonly available sizes is 5k.

This means that in full light, they have a resistance of 5'000 ohms, in dark, ussually 500'000 ohms.

This idea could work, but you would use the LDR in a voltage divider controlling a darlington transistor that would block current reaching the LM317 circuit all together.

Last edited:
If you have a green laser, you're essentially powering a laser with a laser, but in that case, you'd be switching a laser with a laser. The remote laser would still need its own power supply.

aXit

It would definitely need it's own power supply.

If you're really interesting in building it I can draw up the circuit for you.