Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Plexiglas or Lexan to block laser

laserblocking

Does anyone know what type of lexan or Plexiglas would block (not reflect) a laser with the following specifications...30mW laser diode with 850nm wavelength? This iss from a VIVE VR base station and I am trying to find a way to use glass/plastic versus cloth curtains.

Just use whatever and spray it with black grill paint, 30mW is a very small amount of power. Unless it needs to be see through in which case more research would be required as to what blocks 850nm.

I think you will find that 30 mW of 850nm laser light is not visible, or maybe barely visible to some people. It is in the infrared range of light. The light from a 808nm laser is barely visible to me at powers of at least 100 mW. And, then, only just barely. 850nm is farther into the IR range, so it would be less visible. If you are trying to block just the light from that and not the visible light you will have to look for a pigment that blocks only near IR, but that would likely be expensive.

Not exactly an answer - but why are you trying to block the Vive base-station's lasers? There's no safety concern as despite the laser inside being claimed to be a class 3B (taken from the vive safety manual).
This product contains Class 3B laser, which can produce hazardous level of Class 3B and 4 laser radiations. However, the design of this product incorporates optics, a protective housing and scanning safeguard such that there is no access to level of laser radiation above Class 1. Only trained factory service personnel should open the protective housing.

As it's a class 1 - there's no safety issue. Are you blocking it for functional reasons instead? Like having multiple Vive's set up in the same room etc? If so - then anything opaque will work - Class 1 (<1mw) is a tiny amount of power, eye safe and has bugger all energy so there's no hazard there either. If you specifically want a transparent barrier, then i totally understand where you're coming from and wish you luck in finding the solution. any opaque material (curtains, thick dark paper etc) will work fine.

Last edited: