Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pioneer DVR 213LS

i killed a diode from this drive while testing.
it is a light scribe burner with long open can
anyone has further info on diode inthis drive?(ie output, mA, voltage?

Long open cans can take about 400-450mA, 420mA is what people usually drive them at.
They're capable of outputting as much as 300mW, though at the currents people use they tend to output 250-280mW after optics.
Voltage is irrelevant, if you're using a fixed current driver the voltage will sort itself out, though it's usually between 2.9v and 3.2v or so.

Note that if you're driving them that hard, you'll need some decent heatsinking or they'll burn themselves up pretty quick.

chido

Oh yeah, you're that guy who's using the DDL driver...... Sorry it's just that there's a lot of people here. ;D
Are you using a load when you're measuring the voltage coming from the driver? And I'll say this again, voltage doesn't matter, just the current.

ok.lets recap- voltage does not count, the diode only takes up voltage that it can use.

mA is important- this determines how much juice is flowing through the LD .
am i correct?

how much output will i be expecting from 350mA?(aixiz acryllic) without additional heatsink?
can i get a relatively stable long life?(duty cycle at 50% for 30 secs?)

chido

Yes you're right about the voltage and the current. A long open can running at 420mA outputs around 240 - 250mW using an acrylic lens, at 350mA only I'm guessing somewhere around 210mW. You can't know for sure.
The life of the diode depends on a lot of things.
I don't know what you mean by "duty cycle at 50% for 30 secs".