Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Physics

I am teaching physics next year. I am interrested in getting a green laser pointer to do some tricks, but really, I haven't gotten a chance to look into it too much. Popping balloons, using mirrors to reflect. I need a couple things, if anyone would be sooo kind to help me with this :)

1- What do I buy? 125 mW about right? Where can I get a good one for a good price.
2- Are there kits or anything for playing with laser pointers?
3- Ideas for demos. I've heard of balloons popping, trash bags melting... anything else cool out there?

Anything that people can help with would be greath. Thank you.

I would suggest the x-series 125mw green laser from www.novalasers.com
they will be able to perform all the tricks you could want. Also, they offer a wide variety of lenses, but Senkat can tell you more about that. For the price that's a great laser. It will be able to easily burst balloons, light matches, burn through trash bags, but electrical tape....ect.

S

SenKat

Check out NOVA's entire line of optics and accessories - they have a HUGE line of experimentor's items, and some really good write ups for experiments on there as well. Come back and talk to us before you order though - we can save you some money ;)

OK, so here is what I'm staring at. Please critique? :)

Your shopping cart contains...

Laser Surface Effects Materials Kit (NA99SA001)
USD19.99 USD19.99

Black Balloons (10) (NA07BB001)
USD3.99 USD15.96

Lens Set (NT02SL001)
USD34.99 USD34.99

X125 Compact Portable Laser w/carrying case, NOVA Membership, 1595 LightYear Reward Points (NH01XS125)
USD319.00 USD319.00

Front Surface Mirror (Square) 50mm (NT03MS001)
USD4.99 USD24.95

Mirror Holders (NT98MH001)
USD3.50 USD17.50

DG Mega Matrix (NT98GD001)
USD27.00 USD27.00

Total: USD449.45

And on a side note, how dangerous are diffracting gradients in the class room :p I assume I am not going to use them there, as I figure a 125mW green beam to the eye can't be good for retinas

S

SenKat

The diffraction gratings split the beam up into LOTS of different beams - take a look in the companies and reviews section at the pics I took of their assortments they have...

The only thing(s) I see missing are the optical stages....take another peek - they are incredible - MANY uses...

You mean the delux accessory holder?

They are just mutch better than the other, little square holders?

S

SenKat

Yes - they are simply incredible - no joke, man ! Hey, accept my invite to chat on gmail - wanna talk to you ;-)

hey mate your awesome, how do i know? your going to teach physics :). i love physics..... anyway lasers would be fascinating to learn, one of my favorite things in physics classes (apart from teachers making fun of students) is learning how stuff works. one interesting thing to do would to get laser diodes, resistors and lenses and get students to power the diode and to correctly collimate ( im not good with the spelling.... not an English student :p) the beam with lenses. that would combine lots of theory in fun practice. from ohms law to optics.... lasers would be VERY fun to study im sure the students would love that. also is it high school that your teaching?

Aseras

If you want optics, the best kit I know of is at www.optotronics.com
Talk to Jack the owner and he'll set you up. He just helped out another physics profesor and there's a big thankyou and such on his testmonial page.

FWIW i'm also in the educational biz and you might actually not want to go with a really high laser for demo's with a class. I have to go through so much BS becauase of liability issues. It's sad these days, but the chance is there once you go over 50mw or so that an accident like a tilted mirror or a dropped laser can cause real damage, and you just know someone will sue or get you fired these days.

If you are absolutly certain you can control the laser ( fixed hard mount tripod ), it's beam bath and anything it might come into contact, feel free to go with a highpowered demo.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_iii/otm_iii_6.html