Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Overclocking A Laser Diode/Questions

Salutations all!
I have some questions regarding how much you can push a laser diode resonably. Its quite common practise to run laser diodes at a higher-than-recommended current to squeeze out as much output power from a laser diode. I feel as though this is a stupid question, But whats a good ballpark estimate to how much current you can give a laser diode before it dies/dramatically reduce its life span.
Often I see laser diodes without a maximum current that you should work between.
And a simular question but regarding laser diode arrays. I Wish to run a 125W laser diode array slightly above the rated 3A, How can i calculate how much power I will get on the output?

Thanks,

It's really all dependent on the diode. DTR has a lot of tests on here where he pushes them far past what they were intended to do. But depending on the diode, you might kill it in 5 minutes or 5 years. It's a gamble.

It's really all dependent on the diode. DTR has a lot of tests on here where he pushes them far past what they were intended to do. But depending on the diode, you might kill it in 5 minutes or 5 years. It's a gamble.
Thank you Ill keep that in mind. I am planning to run the NUBM37 125W laser diode array and I want to clear that 125W mark by feeding it a little over its recommended amperage of 3A, Perhaps 3.2A-3.5A, Could I calculate roughly what output power id get?