Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics Premium 4.99mW Green Laser

Hello LPF, this is my first laser review so keep that in mind while you go through this.This is a review of the first laser that I owned, and I would say is still my favorite.

Premium 4.99mW Green Laser
5mw-laser.jpg
This laser is perfect as a first laser pointer for any new enthusiasts, as well as fun to have for just pointing around. I carry it with me everywhere. I ordered this laser on 19 June 2011, it shipped on the 21st and was at my door in CA on the 23rd. It came in a black box with a little magnet to keep it shut, inside the laser pointer was fit snugly into the foam that has 2 slots for extra batteries (this laser takes AAAs). I use duracell rechargeables, even though they provide fewer volts than alkalines or lithiums (I don't see much of a difference in output, and it is much cheaper this way in the long run).

attachment.php

(To avoid any confusion, I will let you know that in this image is a pointer whose host is identical to Optotronics', because it is new and I wanted to show what the pen looked like new. The sticker on Optotronics' pointer was not peeling like this when I received it. This is, however, the case it came in)

The sticker on the laser says max output of it is <5mw. Optotronics includes a paper with battery, operation, and safety instructions. On this paper the tested output is written, 8mw written with a purple pen in my case.
The beam is nice and tight and the divergence is very good, overall very pretty. The laser does have some issues in the cold, which is to be expected of a green laser. I generally keep it in my pocket and make sure to carry an extra pair of fully charged batteries, because I find that straight out of my warm pocket it functions better in the cold nights, and also that fresh batteries can help out a bit. Another issue I came across was the paint coming off, which is something that I don't actually mind at all and it doesn't affect the light at all.
Here is what the laser looks like today, also a look at the paper with the tested output.
attachment.php

The brass is exposed, but I like how it looks with the weathering and again it has absolutely no affect on the actual laser. A final issue with this laser is that after keeping it in my pocket for many months (almost 6) the pointer has a slight bend to it, and the silver colored portion that holds the battery end to the module end doesn't hold on very well anymore, and sometimes I pull out half of a laser pointer from my pocket. The two pieces can be easily pushed back together, and the laser functions as expected. This is an easy fix however, surely some super glue or some sort of epoxy would rid me of the problem. (Where it comes apart is not at the threaded portion, but on the other side of the metal connecting piece. it has simply wiggled itself loose.)

Now, this laser is not of poor construction. although there are a couple of issues with the host, I don't believe this can be attributed to Optotronics, and it does not bother me any more than a very minimal amount. This pointer has been dropped several times, usually from about waist height to the ground. I have always worried about cracking the lens or taking the crystal out of alignment, but it still works like it's new. I also noticed that the button on this laser feels great, better than the laser I just received in the same host. The click is more noticeable and defined, and clicks back off better. Also looking into the module end, Optotronics inserted some kind of foam thing which looks rather nice, whereas with my new pointer you can see the driver.
attachment.php

Overall the Optotronics Premium 4.99mW Green Laser is a great pointer for a first laser, a new enthusiast, anyone who likes lasers at all, and possibly hobbyist astronomers. I have used this laser to point out stars to nearby people at night and they are always awed by the clearly visible beam. Another thing I like about this laser is that I can point it around at nearby objects and not have to worry about people looking at the dot and sustaining injuries, but it is still bright enough to be noticeable indoors and have a really cool beam at night. (Never point this laser, or any lasers, at anyones face however! It is still above the safe level for accidental eye exposure and should be treated with care!)

Here I have juxtaposed my other 2 lasers, a 221mw 650nm, and a <50mw 445nm, with my 8mw Optotronics 532nm.
attachment.php

As you can see the green is pretty much even with the other 2 lasers, despite being much lower power. The green beam is also just as narrow as the red, which is very nice.

I felt very safe ordering from Optotronics. I have never seen a poor review of any of their products and I have seen many reviews complimenting the incredible customer service.

Finally a quick Pros and cons

PROS
  • Bright beam at night
  • Takes AAAs
  • Sturdy construction
  • Nice button (I hear it is a common complaint)
  • Very good IR filtering
  • Good beam specs
  • Very fast shipping!
  • Some of the best customer service

CONS
  • Host is kinda cheap
  • A little pricey ($29.95 US)
  • Slight issues in the cold

The pros greatly outweigh the cons. Overall, this is a very great laser for anyone at all, and I definitely recommend buying one :D

Attachments

• DSCF0154.JPG
    DSCF0154.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 1,205
  • DSCF0169.JPG
    DSCF0169.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 1,127
  • compare.JPG
    compare.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,090
  • beams.JPG
    beams.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 2,286
Last edited:

Blade

good review. im looking to buy a simple 5mw greenie that i can actually look at without burning my retinas :p

Blade

yeah, im thinking about it. and its kinda pricey for a 5mw, but its way cheaper than my local radioshack (about $50)! and this is the only situation i really DONT want an overspec laser from a cheap dealer lol...

yeah, im thinking about it. and its kinda pricey for a 5mw, but its way cheaper than my local radioshack (about $50)! and this is the only situation i really DONT want an overspec laser from a cheap dealer lol...

Especially when the cheaper ones tend to not have an IR filter D:
and I feel like Optotronics makes them just enough overspec haha, I am extremely happy with my 8mw of green