Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nova lasers???

Ace82

I am a laser FREAK and want the best laser for my money. I need advice: Should I buy the Nova x175 pen @ $529 (currently on sale -$100) or should I buy the Alpha125 @ $389? Of coarse the convenience of a compact pen with AAA's is a factor compared to the large handheld light saber, if you will, running from AA's w/ a safety key. Basically, I am looking for the smallest beam diameter and divergence and of coarse, MAX POWER! I seem to be leaning more toward the Alpha125, but not sure. Anybody, suggestions? - Thanks

P.S. I'm done with DX.

Razako

Instead of the x175 you should just buy an RPL-165 for $50 more and save $50 in the long run because you won't need to constantly buy more AAA batteries.

Ace82

Well, I am open to all, but as far as batteries, I ONLY use Ni-MH rechargeables for everything, whether it be AA's or AAA's. To me, that is not an issue. Thanks for all, I will defiantly consider.

Ace82 said:
I am a laser FREAK and want the best laser for my money.  I need advice: Should I buy the Nova x175 pen @ $529 (currently on sale -$100) or should I buy the Alpha125 @ $389?  Of coarse the convenience of a compact pen with AAA's is a factor compared to the large handheld light saber, if you will, running from AA's w/ a safety key.  Basically, I am looking for the smallest beam diameter and divergence and of coarse, MAX POWER!  I seem to be leaning more toward the Alpha125, but not sure. Anybody, suggestions? - Thanks

P.S. I'm done with DX.  

Both nice choices. The beam diameter and divergence is the same. But the recommenbded duty cycle for the Alpha is double the x series. If you want 200 sec on, go with Alpha. If 100 sec on is good enough I would rather have smaller.

Chad

Really, the RPL is a better choice. They have GREAT beam specs and duty cycles, but CNI's usually don't.
$0.02,
--c

I would go with the Alpha - I have one, or at least a Lucent Optics EnVee 100 - and I have been very pleased with it. Having read more here I would probably this time buy from Nova rather than Lucent (though Lucent were fine in my case). I think from what you describe of your interests now, that you will find the AA capacity and longer duty cycle plus general more 'robustness' of the Alpha more satisfying than another 'pen' laser.

Gazoo

If you are going to spend that kind of money, definitely an RPL IMO.

Ace82

Well I have been checking out the RPL IMO and from all the hype sounds like the best bang for the buck. Plus the 1yr warrantee can't be beat! Does anybody have any more specs on it? The only con is the size. But I am sure the durability is much better then that of a regular 'pen'. Thanks everyone!

Razako

Ace82 said:
Well I have been checking out the RPL IMO and from all the hype sounds like the best bang for the buck. Plus the 1yr warrantee can't be beat! Does anybody have any more specs on it? The only con is the size. But I am sure the durability is much better then that of a regular 'pen'. Thanks everyone!
What kind of specs are you looking for? The divergence and beam diameter should be right on the opto website.

Ace82

I donno, I guess thing like delay or dongle or maybe someone's experiance who has one, durability. I guess I need a little more convincing…

Razako

Ace82 said:
I donno, I guess thing like delay or dongle or maybe someone's experiance who has one, durability. I guess I need a little more convincing…
They don't have a dongle.
They have a key but you can remove it after turning the laser to the power level you want.
They have 9 power levels in all if you buy the adjustable version.
They have no safety delay but they do have an LED the glows green when the laser is armed and red when it is turned on.
They have a sliding lens shutter for safety and to keep dust off the lens.
They are really durable but I still wouldn't drop one ;D
Hopefully this answered some of your questions.

Switch

Ace82 said:
I donno, I guess thing like delay or dongle or maybe someone's experiance who has one, durability.  I guess I need a little more convincing[ch8230]

Yea, basicly the only con is the size.Besides, I don't know if nova can guarantee perfect TEM00 on their 150 and 175 models.

Ace82

Well The title of this thread should now read: Optotronics??? !!! Thanks everyone for your advice. It is very clear which laser I am going to buy. Optotronics RPL-165 it is! I will Definatly post a thread when I buy it and keep everyone updated when I recieve it! I have the money so now I just need to ask myself, What am I waiting for?! Thanks again everybody! - Ace