Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NLD - :Sad Trombone: Defective unit

Helter

I was very excited to get a new Sanwu Striker 7W+ yesterday. This morning I had some time between meetings, so I looked up the instructions, got my batteries, prepared myself to witness awesome handheld power... And nothing. It doesn't seem to work. Double checked that I had the right orientation, tried new batteries, checked to ensure that there wasn't a cap screwed into the end... Nothing.
I bought this from LPS, along with their power meter (which I have checked with two other lasers I have, and they are measuring pretty close to their advertised power, no way to calibrate it/confirm deviation though). The packaging was pretty sus, box all banged up, and the unit itself just wrapped in bubble wrap inside. No instructions at all.
So, support ticket in to LPS... Hopefully we can get it resolved quickly.

Helter

Worked with Sanwu to determine that the switch is bad. Unfortunately since I bought it through LPS, Sanwu won't warranty it. They did offer to ship out a switch kit for just the shipping fee though, which was pretty respectable. We'll see what LPS says/does.

Have you tried bypassing the tail cap switch ?

Carefully, with the laser pointed in a safe direction, jump from the battery to the case and see if it works.

Helter

Have you tried bypassing the tail cap switch ?

Carefully, with the laser pointed in a safe direction, jump from the battery to the case and see if it works.

Yes, that's how we determined that the switch was bad. They also had me unscrew the switch seat and re-screw it in, which resulted in the laser no longer turning off. So the switch unit is definitely the culprit. Good news really, probably the cheapest part of the entire thing.

Encap

Return it to LPS for replacement or refund.
Buy one from Sanwu.
LPS is not a good choice iffy at best for several reasons, 2 of which you have experience with already - defective unit and no Sanwu warranty

Last edited:

Helter

Return it to LPS for replacement or refund.
Buy one from Sanwu.
LPS is not a good choice iffy at best for several reasons, 2 of which you have experience with already - defective unit and no Sanwu warranty

Yeah, wish I had realized that before! I thought I had seem them as a recommended seller on here. Oh well, live and learn!
In the meantime Sanwu got back to me within a few minutes, and walked me through troubleshooting. LPS still hasn't responded to my ticket.