Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nitrogen Lasers: for those who like to build from scratch

gazer101

Can a 150µJ (guessing 0.15mW) pulsed laser really cause eye damage?

Yes. The damage is caused by the peak power of the laser. Peak power is what really counts when it comes to pulsed lasers. Q-switching is the best example of how increasing peak power, even at the expense of total energy, enables pulsed lasers to perform impressive feats such as drilling through diamonds.

gazer101

Wow... imagine blinding yourself with tinfoil, saran wrap, and a 12V battery :ROFLMAO:

Anthony P

I have constructed several versions of the N2 laser over the years, based largely on the "Scientific American" design. Of all the gas laseers I have home built, I can say that the N2 is by far the simplest and most forgiving. Further, it is also the simplest pump for dye laser experiments.

Jim H

Yes. The damage is caused by the peak power of the laser. Peak power is what really counts when it comes to pulsed lasers. Q-switching is the best example of how increasing peak power, even at the expense of total energy, enables pulsed lasers to perform impressive feats such as drilling through diamonds.
TRUTH! Similar example is my SSY-1 Nd YAG laser, although I upped the capacitors on it, so probably more energy than the typical specs. Look at the peak power, 50 KW!: " The output power is typically around 150-200mJ per pulse (50KW for 4nS) at 1064nm, with a 15J input to the flashlamp. The laser head contains: Nd:YAG laser rod Flashlamp & cavity Passive Q-switch Cavity mirrors Metal frame Dimensions: Laser rod: 2.4″ long x . 197″ dia. (61 x 5 mm)Flash lamp: 2.5″ long x . "
Mine will burn a hole through an aluminum cat food can lid

Buffo

When you think about the damage you can do with the measly output of your SSY-1 (because all the energy is delivered in a short pulse), it really gives you pause when you think about the sort of mayhem one could cause with a Q-switched laserscope if you removed the KTP and just blasted away with the pulsed IR... (This is why I was more or less terrified when DSLI-Jon had my old laserscope operating at SELEM several years ago with the lid off and the entire Z-Fold resonator exposed for all to see.)

Adam