Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie with safety concerns.

Ezcal

First of all, I'd like to mention how awesome this forum is, there's a fantastic amount of information to be found here.

I've recently been sucked in to the awesome world of lasers, and I'm planning on building some 100mW+ lasers soon. Before I do so, I'd like to get my goggle situation squared away first.

I've been doing a lot of reading here (and other places, like the Laser Bible), and I'd just like to clarify what I've been reading, to make sure I understand what I'm doing. Yes, I know what the search function is and I'm capable of using it. I'm simply asking for confirmation, as most of the things I've read don't directly apply to the lasers I will be making and using.

First off, I understand I will need goggles for any laser over 5mW. I recently received a "30mW" 405nm pointer from eBay, and I'm hesitant to point it at anything but the sky right now. I have no way of knowing its actual power, but it says 30mW on it, hence the quotes. Am I safe looking at the spot if it's only pointed at non-reflective surfaces, such as carpeting and matte paint?

Second, I'd like to make sure these two goggles are the correct ones I will need for the lasers I plan to build. I'm going to make a 100mW 405nm, a 100mW 532nm, and a 200mW 650nm. To look at the dot from these, even on matte surfaces, I'm sure I'll need goggles.

I'm looking at these two pairs of goggles from OEM Laser Systems:
KRY - UV, KTP, 190-579nm Protection KRY - UV, KTP, 190-579nm Protection [NR-KRY-00FDA] - $98.60
KRR - UV, Red, Visible Diode, Ruby Protection KRR - UV, Red, Visible Diode, Ruby Protection [NR-KRR-00FDA] - $98.60

Is there anything I'm missing? I apologize if I'm posting dumb questions, but I'd much rather be flamed now than lose my eyesight later because I was afraid to ask and overlooked something.

I have these from Ebay for green and my blue 445 Green Blue Laser Eye Protection Safety Glasses Goggles - eBay (item 270585416220 end time Oct-24-10 20:53:28 PDT)

If you do a search there was some others that were reviewed I had the link but I can't find it. They were eagle pair for green/blue from this seller Red Laser Safety Goggles Glasses Protection 635 685 New - eBay (item 280575176375 end time Oct-20-10 19:37:23 PDT)

If you look at the Laser glow banner there is a code to use and you can get 20% off Laserglow Technologies - Handheld Lasers, Alignment Lasers and Lab / OEM Lasers

Ezcal

The ones you have, they work well? I ask because they're incredibly cheap, and I worry about quality. Thanks for the links! I'm wary of buying things on eBay that may or may not conserve my vision, but I'll definitely look into them.

The Eagle Pair have been reviewed here on the forum!

The other pair I have and my 445nm is around 740mw and it won't shine thru the lens, they are the sameones that came with my laser.

I am just giving you Ideas on whats out there. The ones from laser glow are also supposed to be good.

Do a search for the glasses that have been reviewed.

Ezcal

The Eagle Pair have been reviewed here on the forum!

The other pair I have and my 445nm is around 740mw and it won't shine thru the lens, they are the sameones that came with my laser.

I am just giving you Ideas on whats out there. The ones from laser glow are also supposed to be good.

Do a search for the glasses that have been reviewed.

Whoa, 740mW of 445 doesn't go through? I'll order them right now! Hah. Only $9, it can't hurt I suppose. I may even get a few, so I can show my lasers off to my friends.

I honestly forgot about the reviews section here on LPF, I'll head over there and look for goggle reviews. Thanks!

Whoa, 740mW of 445 doesn't go through? I'll order them right now! Hah. Only $9, it can't hurt I suppose. I may even get a few, so I can show my lasers off to my friends.

I honestly forgot about the reviews section here on LPF, I'll head over there and look for goggle reviews. Thanks!

No problem. What lasers do have?

Ezcal

Right now I only have a 5mW green, probably 532nm, and a 5mW? 405nm pointer that I got on eBay. It's the one that has been reported as 30-50mW, which I don't doubt. I don't have an LPM, so unfortunately I can't check.

I have 2 of those 405's and they are great for the price!
I also have a 5mw green and some red ones, I don't have an lpm, my 445 was supposed to be 1w but after some of the others that were checked they averaged out to about 740mw some more some less that's why I figure it's 740mw, it pretty bright!

Ezcal

I can imagine! I've seen some pictures of 1W 445's... They're pretty awesome and bright. I'd love to make one of those, but I can't really justify it, especially considering some of my family members enjoy playing with my things while I'm out.

Maybe some day in the future. :)

First off, I understand I will need goggles for any laser over 5mW. I recently received a "30mW" 405nm pointer from eBay, and I'm hesitant to point it at anything but the sky right now. I have no way of knowing its actual power, but it says 30mW on it, hence the quotes. Am I safe looking at the spot if it's only pointed at non-reflective surfaces, such as carpeting and matte paint?..."

I did a post on this a while back. See here.

David