Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie needs help

Xps1979

I was hoping someone could help me. I don't know much about lasers except for your typical cat chaser laser lol. Here's my situation...
I have a street light I'm looking to shut off using a laser to point at the sensor on the top to shut off. I understand a that a 1w red laser will do the job. Most of what I find is on eBay and is battery powered. I need something that works when plugged in to a 110 AC outlet so I can control it with a controlled switch
Any ideas? I'm clueless
I'll attach a pic of the one on ebay
Thank you guys

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200117-153153.png
    Screenshot_20200117-153153.png
    522.7 KB · Views: 7

Skwoz821

I am new as well, not sure you can leave high powered lasers on for hours at a time.
Maybe 650nm makes considerably less heat then 525nm.
If you have $240; "Focusable real 650nm 1000mw 1W Red Laser Module TTL modulation" on ebay could be a good option.
Before you shell out your well earn cash I'd get a second opinion on the duty cycle though.
You also have to be aware of the danger to average people on the street and yourself.
1-watt is stupidly high powered and can cause $10,000 worth of eye damage in 1 second with a direct hit.
Also, that laser in your photo is for sure lying.

Last edited:

Xps1979

I am new as well, not sure you can leave high powered lasers on for hours at a time.
Maybe 650nm makes considerably less heat then 525nm.
If you have $240; "Focusable real 650nm 1000mw 1W Red Laser Module TTL modulation" on ebay could be a good option.
Before you shell out your well earn cash I'd get a second opinion on the duty cycle though.
You also have to be aware of the danger to average people on the street and yourself.
1-watt is stupidly high powered and can cause $10,000 worth of eye damage in 1 second with a direct hit.
Also, that laser in your photo is for sure lying.
I'm only using it to fool the photo cell on the street lamp it won't be on the whole time on a few seconds and off a few minutes then on a few seconds

Skwoz821

Oh, should be fine then.
Just be extremely careful with it, please invest in safety glasses.

Anthony P

I have installed many of those street lights. The sensors do not respond instantly. The laser would have to be on target for some time. When the laser is off, the light would go back into start up mode. While I have never tried this experiment, I suspect that a fairly low power laser would work to swamp the photo-cell.

You'll want to get your laser in a lab host. They often come with a driver and a wall wart to plug into the wall outlet. They are also often, but not always, fan cooled so you have basically an unlimited run time.