Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Project...

S

SenKat

Let's get the creative juices going here a little bit, shall we ? Somebody post some good ideas !!

I have some crazy ideas!!!! ;D

1. Laser Disco Ball

You know those crazy rotating disco lights? If you don't, here is a link!

http://www.windycitynovelties.com/Epaysoft/cart/product.asp?ITEM_ID=6835&CatID=315&s_cid=SHO6835&ovchn=SHOP&ovcpn=Shopping+Furniture&ovcrn=7''+ROTATING+DISCO&ovtac=CMP

Anyway, I think it would be cool to make one of those, but with lasers instead!! You could just get a bunch of modules from Aixiz (red, and green ones), and bam! A light show! You would have to be careful though, because you don't know where the lasers are going to go (cover your eyes)!

2. Pulsing Laser Show

This one kinda goes along with idea number one... There are these little electronic kits that have LEDs that flash!!! :eek:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/7f3f/

I don't know if that one will work, but if you replace the LEDs with some laser modules, then you could have a blinking light show. You could even combine idea one and two, then have a super rotating flashing light show! Anyway, I think it would be cool.

3. Laser Light (this one is not that great)

Just take a bunch of lasers, and put them together in one hand held device. It would be like one of those multiple LED flashlights, but with lasers instead... Can you see the 5 beams of doom!!! Together it would look like one big laser, and everyone would see the huge beam of impending doom!

http://www.led-flashlight-store.com/1012.html

4. Marine Laser

I know this one already exists, but you could make one really easily, and really cheap. All you would need to do is get a waterproof button, and mount it on a PVC pipe. Pop in a laser module, then poof! Waterproof laser.

You could even just take apart a waterproof flashlight, and put a laser module in instead...

5. Laser Kit

This one is more of a toy then anything else. It would just be a battery case with a connector at the end. With this case you would have multiple "heads". All of these heads have a different interchangeable laser... There would be a couple red ones with different power. A couple of green ones, and maybe a blue and/or yellow. I think that would be cool....

So yeah, that is it for now! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wile E.'s Convection-Electrostatic Powered Pulsed Air/Copper Vapor Ion Laser :eek:

Stretch a thin copper wire well off the ground, between two properly aligned ion laser resonator mirrors on insulated supports. Attach one end of the wire to a good electrical ground, and the other to a large metal toroid raised well off the ground on an insulated support. On the toroid rests the rocket with the loops of fine wire arranged next to it, and connected to it and the toroid.

Wait for a thunderstorm. When the potential gradient rises to a local maximum, indicating an imminent strike in the vicinity, fire the rocket. If all goes according to plan, lightning strikes the rocket and it's trailing wire, and for a split second a nice, fat, superhot air/copper plasma appears between the two laser mirrors, which oughta generate some kind of laser action!

Have one high-speed video camera viewing the setup to catch the lightning-laser's pulse(s) on a suitable target surface, and another one fitted with a high resolution spectroscope so as to record the wavelengths produced.

Somebody somewhere ought to be able to get a government grant for this project!

If you do this don't forget to put the vids up on Youtube.

No mind-altering chemical substances were involved in the dreaming up of this project. ;D

S

SenKat

If you SAY so - I kinda am leaning towards the controlled substance theory myself ! ;D

Don't know if this has been tried or not, but I had 2 ideas this morning while soaking in the hot tub.

1.) Trying to ignite steel wool.

2.) Trying to vaporize water. You could put some red dye in it to make it aborb heat better. Water could be possilby put in a test tube and see if you could get a few drops hot enough to steam, or put a few drops of water in a black bowl ?

Have these projects been done? They seem simple enough. I don't know what power you would need? if very close up, maybe 200mw or less with a lens?

Neo

Hey neo, good ideas!
I think that you'd need a Herc for that though - maybe not, but burning steel wool would be a challenge...
As far as vaporizing water, it sort of depends on the temperature of the surface it is on. (If you could put black dye in an ice cube and "burn" through it while still frozen, that would be really cool...)

What if you put some dark cannon fuse into a clear balloon? Would the expanding gasses from the fuse pop the balloon?

What if you inflated the clear balloon with a volatile gas and lit the fuse from a distance or were shielded by something? :question

S

SenKat

All VERY neat ideas ! Okay - when I had the black balloon inside the red one - it popped first...so I was thinking maybe a tiny bit of black powder inside the red or clear balloon....might work ? Or -yeah, a piece of black fuse or a firecracker or something suspended inside a clear or red balloon...nice ideas - keep em coming ! BUT by all means - common sense prevails - be safe when doing this stuff - heck, I cannot even film a time tunnel without injury ! LOL !!!

S

SenKat

Yeah - since I LOVE doing projects - it was a toss up between following United Nuclear's directions.....making my own black powder (insert evil laugh here) and getting instant gratification and running to the gun shop to buy some powder ! I think since the United Nuclear way costs SOOOOO much more I will not do it that way.

@neocatcher: I've ignited steel wool before but it wasn't easy. I only managed at the focus point of my >350mW 808nm laser. Even the 316mW RPL, with a lens, couldn't manage (though I believe it got close). Vaporizing water is quantity isn't really reasonable with these portable lasers, but if you put a few drops of water or alcohol on black plastic you can heat up the plastic enough so a tiny bit of the water bubbles (I did this with the RPL on a black CD case a few months ago).

As for putting fuse in a balloon... Not safe? I'd expect the spray of the fuse would immediately pop the balloon. Otherwise though, when you light plain fuse, it tends to act like a miniature rocket that flies around in all directions and would probably pop the balloon that way (and subsequently/dangerously escape and fly around). At least with some of the faster fuse you can get.
Making your own black powder really isn't too difficult, though there are a lot of internet places looking to rip you off on it. Even simpler though is just making some candy propellant. Its not black powder, but still pretty neat stuff. All you really need for that is sugar and KNO3 (I prefer confectioner's sugar). You can get the KNO3 off the web from a lot of places, and there are even some products at hardware stores which are KNO3 under a different name/application (such as Grant's stump remover. It's much more expensive than the web, but saves you having to buy 50 lbs of the stuff at a time, or getting ripped off on shipping for small quantites).

Has anyone here ever got something to outright ignite (flames and all) other than matches, black powder, fuses etc?

If so, what was it and what laser did you use?

Has anyone tried burning carbon paper (the old school copy paper)? Anyone ever cut a dark candle in half?

Someone recently posted a video of an Evo 125 igniting paper on LC, and CO2 lasers can easily set regular things aflame. I will be taking some videos of my new laser soon as it can do some interesting things like igniting paper, but at the moment I can't exactly say what laser it is.

S

SenKat

pseudonomen137 said:
Someone recently posted a video of an Evo 125 igniting paper on LC, and CO2 lasers can easily set regular things aflame. I will be taking some videos of my new laser soon as it can do some interesting things like igniting paper, but at the moment I can't exactly say what laser it is.

VERY cryptic, Psuedo ! Is it a Roadie Special ? Huh, huh, is it, is it ? ;D