Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Power Supply for my Laser

I am kinda new to the whole laser thing so i might get a lot wrong.

A couple months back I was in china and I bought a 450nm laser. I have been looking to increase the power to meet the max power output on the label 20w. I had looked online quite a bit and havent found much. The box has a label "YX-B008" on it.

Can i trust the label on the laser? it claims 20w max output, but that seems like a lot of power for a diode.

Is there a way to reliably test for the max voltage and amperage without messing up the diode?

Thanks for any help :)

Encap

I am kinda new to the whole laser thing so i might get a lot wrong.

A couple months back I was in china and I bought a 450nm laser. I have been looking to increase the power to meet the max power output on the label 20w. I had looked online quite a bit and havent found much. The box has a label "YX-B008" on it.

Can i trust the label on the laser? it claims 20w max output, but that seems like a lot of power for a diode.

Is there a way to reliably test for the max voltage and amperage without messing up the diode?

Thanks for any help :)

So are you just trolling--the nickname screams troll?

Assuming you are not a troll :

That laser is what it is --- google "YX-B008"

There is no such thing as a 20W 450nm hand held laser and no other power source will increase the output.

Your lucky if is actually 1W output.

Last edited:
Is there any way that i can test the maximum voltage and amperage of a laser diode without destroying it?

Encap

Is there any way that i can test the maximum voltage and amperage of a laser diode without destroying it?

Why? What do you want to know?

A laser diode is not powered directly by a battery ---a laser diode needs a driver circuit to limit the current--a laser diode by itself just demands more and more current until it is destroyed.

Laser diodes are powered by a driver circuit not directly from a battery.
Don't attempt to connect the diode directly to a fixed voltage source like a battery. You must use a "constant current" power source like a current limiting driver or variable current power supply.

A laser diode is a current-driven device which is should not to be driven by a voltage source.
To operate laser diodes correctly , a proper electrical driving mechanism has to be employed. A proper laser diode driver must act as an accurate constant current source with good transient protection and very low noise.

Have a look here at Laser Diodes: Laser diode operation 101: A user’s guide: http://www.laserfocusworld.com/articles/print/volume-50/issue-03/features/laser-diodes-laser-diode-operation-101-a-user-s-guide.html

Beyond that google "powering a laser diode"

Last edited: