Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 337nm Laser Diodes Being Designed

scopeguy20 said:
Does anybody know how we can contact these researchers?

Try contacting the University (Sheffield that is) and ask for the contact details of the research guy. I'm sure that would work...

I thought this was interesting, partly because I work for a company that is doing research for the US Department of Defense for the same sort of application. Of course we are designing the integrated device, not the diode. I was reading some of our old publications - probably more having to do with medical applications like cytometry (cell counting) than defense, and apparently we were able to get reasonably detectable fluorescence of dyed microparticles (which presumably simulate cells) with ordinary laser pointers!

I have not yet been involved in any of this yet, so I am speaking from a point of absolutely no expertise (and once I have expertise, I still can't say anything ;)). But since we can do fluorescence based analysis on biological materials with non-exotic wavelengths, why does this paper claim that biological threats "require" UV to detect?

They made it sound like maybe it is a matter of image processing (which would obviously be difficult if you laser light blocking out your picture), but with Lab-on-a-chip devices you don't process images, you just detect the fluorescence signals magically and record the number of evil particles ;).

Well, this is my first post, so it doesn't have to make sense!

(come to think of it, even though microfluidic analysis can be done in the visible range, I can see why it may be improved in the UV.)

This is cool! They could blow Blu-Ray players out of the water with these new diodes.

btw: are they getting that 337nm out of a single diode?

i couldn't imagine getting 337 from multiple different wavelength lasers. it may appear as 337 with multiple laser but it would still be a mixture of diferent colors.

Switch

member02 said:
i couldn't imagine getting 337 from multiple different wavelength lasers. it may appear as 337 with multiple laser but it would still be a mixture of diferent colors.

What colors could you possibly combine to get a pseudo 337nm?? :eek: You can't even call that a colour, it's too deep into the UV....
As I understand from the article, this is going to be a diode laser, just like red , IR and blu-ray (and other less popular) , no crystals, no pumping and no mixing...and no fasoring :D

With a scanner and enough patience you could have a customized tan...
Or customized skin cancer if something goes wrong :D

Skram0

Great. So all the Blu-ray and HD DVD players and movies will be obsolete in a few years once they perfect 337nm. Might want to hold off on that next upgrade purchase, eh? Just when you thought that would be it. No more movie formats or disc upgrades. Then they come out with this news. So what do ya think, maybe five years from now do I hear Blu-ray 2 or HD DVD 2? Time to upgrade and CONSUME!!!

Switch

Yea from one boring invisible end of the spectrum to the other ::) Why didn't they make green diodes for disc burners? :D