Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with Laser build.

It's been a long time since I have been messing around with lasers, anyway for some reason I now want to build another laser, but I have forgotten everything I know.

Anyway I just ripped a closed can diode from a Yamaha 16x CD Re-writer drive it's dated to January 1999, is there anything I can do with it?

The drive is labelled Yamaha CRW4416E.

What voltage and current do I run it at? What's the most power I can expect from it?

Thanks, Patriot.

Yawn. So many questions, so little interest.. Maybe post some pics? Also, google doesn't bite, but some members here may ;)

Only 3 questions mate, it's just a small diode from a 16x cd re-writer. I thought picture would do nothing. As it's only a diode.

Thanks mate.

Well people here are a bit more familiar with diodes that we're used to, like the ones DTR sells. You probably won't be able to do much with a cd writer drive anyway, you're gonna want a diode from at least a dvd burner. Is it a round diode?

Well it would be easy for you to build a simple LM317 based driver, set it to 300mA and see how the diode takes it. With that current you can expect around 150mW with the standart acrylic lens

Just remember that a cd burner diode is going to emit IR light which is very dangerous. Get some goggles before you try and put power to that diode. You'll go blind without even seeing any light

Well it would be easy for you to build a simple LM317 based driver, set it to 300mA and see how the diode takes it. With that current you can expect around 150mW with the standart acrylic lens
Too much, those diodes start rapidly degrading at around 250mA or so.

I'd reccomend 150-200mA.

Also, it's not infrared light, it's near-infrared, at 780nm it will appear as dim, dark red color, but you can still see it enough to focus it and burn stuff with it. It's fun :p

Just be careful, don't get it near your eyes! Don't point it into anything shiny, reflective, etc etc. Common sense, better than goggles!