Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Help with first red laser build!

I followed Phazonxl's driver tutorial to make my driver. I used the exact same parts and double checked everything. I ordered a "Sony Diode Pre-Installed In Aixiz Module" from stonetek and installed it in the driver and supplied it with 6 fresh AA batteries of power. The diode is dim until I turn the POT up then the diode gets brighter but it does not burn anything. I was wondering if anyone might have an idea as to why doesn't the laser burn?

Thank you

chido

Just because it gets bright doesn't mean it will burn. You need to check the current with a multimeter and make sure you're focusing the laser to the smallest spot.

chido

Measure current, not voltage. ;) But still, it should be more than 2.2v, when did you order the diode? Is it one of the new ones?

chido

Ok, it is one of the new ones, try feeding it 300mA, that should be more than enough to burn stuff.

chido

Duh!!! ;D Check your multimeter though, you don't want to put in more current than you should. BTW, are you using any resistors to limit the current in case you accidentally set the pot to the least resistance?

Check this schematic made by rog8811 for measuring current, but use your diode instead of the 4 1N4001 silicon diodes.

clip_image001.jpg

chido

Ok, then just turn turn the pot to the lowest resistance or simply get rid of it. The two 10 ohm resistors should limit the current to 250mA. They applied to the old diodes which could be driven to a max of 250mA, but these new diodes can be driven up to 300mA, probably 350mA but that wouldn't increase power a lot compared to 300mA so I don't think it's worth shortening the life of the diode. 250mA should be more than enough to burn though.