Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help to mod a laser (first time)

Hey LPF guys,

I have seen that DX.com has a laser with 5mw. I have a 5mw laser at home but a friend of me has a laser and i can see the beam at night. He say this laser has 100mw. Now I think when i change the laser module I can seen the beam at night, too.

And now my Question:

Can ich change the module at this laser:
SD-301 5mW 532nm Green Laser Flashlight - Black (1 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

and switch it with this:
100mW 532nm Green Laser Module (3V 11.9mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Hey LPF guys,

I have seen that DX.com has a laser with 5mw. I have a 5mw laser at home but a friend of me has a laser and i can see the beam at night. He say this laser has 100mw. Now I think when i change the laser module I can seen the beam at night, too.

And now my Question:

Can ich change the module at this laser:
SD-301 5mW 532nm Green Laser Flashlight - Black (1 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

and switch it with this:
100mW 532nm Green Laser Module (3V 11.9mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Sadly, no, too many parts in premade DX lasers are pressfited together and need to be cut apart to get to the core components. Then said cut parts need to be recreated somehow. If you don't have access to a lathe, I wouldn't recommend taking the laser apart.

Here's an idea - grab that 100mW greenie module, and make a completely new laser out of it. Building a green laser is one of the easiest things you can do.

You just need a host, and a heatsink accepting 12mm modules.
You need to jump the switch on the module, so it's constantly ON (it's controlled by host's tailcap), and you need to solder a spring to the module if there's isn't one already. Skip this step if you get module with spring already soldered.

I can't buy a 100mw laser that's not legal in germany (max 5mw) but i can buy the part to build that's legal. :whistle:

Look on ebay, most of their listed <5mW lasers are over spec at 50mW + all for around $5/$6

Hey,

i have seen one last probleme. The module work with 3V but the battery has 3.7V.
Is this a problem for the module?

Cel

Usually, it isn't... sometimes, it will kill your diode/driver.