Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help for building DVD burner Laser Pointer

Hello. I recently took apart this old DVD burner I had in hope of building my own laser pointer, that burns.
So far, I have gotten the diodes out of the burner, but when I was going to test them (2xAAA batteries in series with the + on one of the batteries to the + on the diode and the - on the other battery to the minus on the diode) none of them lit up. I also used a camera to film the process to check if one of them lit up, infrared. They didn't...

I have not bought any parts yet, but here are the ones I am planning on buying, so far:

Power Supply:
Amazon.com: UltraFire 18650 3000mAh 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery (Pair) + Charger Combo: Camera & Photo

Diode Driver:
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Groove_2.php

Laser module:
AixiZ 10pack 12x30mm Housing Blanks, AixiZ

I don't think I will be needing anything more than this - Laser diode, laser module, driver and power supply. I will also be needing a case, but I'll hunt that one down my-self.

It would be much appreciated to get some suggestions, maybe for different parts, and how one will go about putting all this together.

Also, let me know if this will even work. Is there's anything wrong with the diodes? (I don't think there is). I got them off of a 16X DVD burner. Does anyone know a good place to get (cheap) >200mW laser diodes? Just in case these wont work or something. I have attached two pictures, with both diodes in them.

Also, the driver board I have linked above..the laser beam can burn stuff with it, right? Like, light matches, pop balloons etc... I have one here, that I got when I took apart a 5mW (650nm) laser pointer, but apparently that wont allow the beam to be any stronger than 5mW even though it is a 200mW diode in the first place.

Hope to get some info/help, thanks in advance :)
-Martin

Attachments

• Diodes Back.JPG
    Diodes Back.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 386
  • Diodes Front.JPG
    Diodes Front.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 400