Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My "standard" email reply...

I have mentioned lots of times that I refer folks to this forum, but always tell them to make sure to avoid the "BS", and to skip to the meat of the posts, to be able to dig into the best info around... Well, here is my standard email reply to folks that email me, asking me to either build a laser, or to teach them, via email, exactly what to do, and how to build a laser !

First, here is a cop of what I normally receive :

Dear Stonetek,
I want to build a Dorcy Jr., laser using your parts. I have never built my own laser before but I am confident in my ability to do so. I don't know exactly all of the parts I need to build one. Would you please send me a complete list of parts to build one of these lasers correctly?
Thanks, Bob.

And now for my "patented" reply :

Dear Bob,

I highly recommend that you visit this website : www.laserpointerforums.com to read all about how to build a laser, what tests are required, and for all the safety requirements, before you build a laser. You will have to read past all the BS posts, and all the little kids playing at being electronic geniuses, but if you can bypass that, and the drama of teenagers, there is a wealth of info available there !

For a standard Dorcy build you would need :

Laser diode
Laser diode module (holds the diode, and has a lens as well)
Laser diode driver (safely controls the current going to the diode)
Laser module heatsink (wicks the built up heat away from the diode, and module)
Laser module host (Dorcy Jr.)
Laser power source (CR123 battery, included with the Dorcy Jr.)
Laser Safety Goggles (VERY important to protect your eyesight - see the forum for more info on these !)

Make sure to read LOTS about what mistakes others have made BEFORE you buy anything, from anyone, including myself ! That way, you will enjoy the hobby, and be successful in your builds. Beyond the "standard" red laser, you may wish to look into doing a build with a PHR-803T
(HD/Blu-Ray diode sled)
For a unique color, brightness, and awesome fun ! Enjoy, and stay safe - and welcome to the world of lasers !

Best Regards,
Greg Stoner
http://shop.stonetek.org

Anyways - I just thought I would throw that out there for folks to see - it's not that I enjoy being nebulous, I do not wish to take on the liability of people burning out their eyes, or doing bad things with this awesome hobby !