Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My own custom 445nm build! Driven at 1A!

Well, after months waiting my host to come from dealextreme, IMMA NOW FIRING MAH 445nm LAZOR!
I'm using this host:
DealExtreme: $12.50 SacredFire NF-014 Cree Q2-WC 120-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650/2*CR123A)
Which I personally love.
I designed a custom heatsink module for that host, and found a lathe machinist who made it for free in aluminium. The module threads inside the host's upper part and it's one piece, making it very very solid.

The driver is also a custom buck-boost one, running at 1Amp. It was running at 1.25amps but I reduced the current for conservative reasons and because the driver was getting a bit unstable when the battery voltage dropped below 3volts so...
The driver is soldered to a brass ring and then press-fitted into the heatsinking module's driver pocket.
The backside of the PCB looks a bit bad, with islands of solder and copper color, that's because I was too lazy for soldermasking the bottom side, and it wasn't really neccesary except for aesthetical reasons. The top layer has all the components and green soldermask and looks quite professional, but you're not going to see it in the pics because i forgot to take pics of it :p I protected the driver with some clear epoxy.

PICs:

All i want now is a better lens for it!