Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

My Newest Addition: Barnett Unlimited Z80 8 watt 450nm w/ Linos 8x Beam Expander

chris010572

Hi everyone. I hope it is OK to post a thread such as this in this category. If not, please let me know and I will remove it.

So, I purchased this laser pointer about 2 months ago and haven't used it much at all. I know how dangerous this type of laser pointer can be and this is why I am reaching out to everyone.

I need recommendations (including links, if possible) on the following items:

(1) Best glasses to use while operating this laser pointer.

(2) I would like to have some type of mount (mini tripod, frame, cradle, etc) to put this laser pointer on so that it is held tightly in place but can also be moved easily to a different position.

(3) Help/Tips/Suggestions:
* I find it hard to get a clean, tight focused beam. Before I purchased this laser pointer I was using a THOR 2 (445nm or 450nm)? 1 watt laser pointer and it was easy to just twist it to focus to a small beam/dot and burn things with. This 8 watt beast just instantly burns whether the beam is focused or not. Can the lens be changed or something added to help get a tighter beam?

I got a deal on a Linos beam expander (See pic) hoping this would help but I just do not know enough about how these things work to get it working correctly. Hence, why I would like a mount for it to be stationary while I tweaked things. Its too heavy to hold in your hand and keep straight and I do not want to keep it powered up for a long period of time.

Any suggestions, tutorial pdf or video on these things will greatly be appreciated. I just want to be able to use it and have fun while being as safe and careful as possible too. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• ResizedImage_2024-08-06_15-23-18_2045.jpg
    ResizedImage_2024-08-06_15-23-18_2045.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 9
  • ResizedImage_2024-08-06_15-22-39_1143.jpg
    ResizedImage_2024-08-06_15-22-39_1143.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 10
  • ResizedImage_2024-08-06_15-21-54_2418.jpg
    ResizedImage_2024-08-06_15-21-54_2418.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ResizedImage_2024-08-06_15-21-07_5354.jpg
    ResizedImage_2024-08-06_15-21-07_5354.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 10

Nice laser! I also have a Linos beam expander. If you hold the expander by the middle section, you can twist both the front and rear pieces. They can be stiff at first, but they extend quite a bit. The larger front section adjusts the expansion ratio, and the smaller back piece focuses the output. In the standard configuration, which Barnett's 3D printed adapter supports, the beam is made wider to reduce divergence at long distances. If you want a tighter beam, you can actually use the expander backwards, shining the beam into the large front element, producing a narrow beam with high divergence out of the rear element. Definitely want glasses on before trying that out.
expanderingo.jpg

For the glasses, you can get an OD6+ pair from Barnett's store, I just got mine the other day and they work great for blue and green.
glassesbarnett.jpg

Nice.. Shmackitup makes some nice units..! :)

Survival lasers sells Eagle Safety Glasses that have a 50% VTL from $50 to $60 in OD5
You still might not see the beam "I never tried my 7W with them" but 50% VTL is alot better at seeing the spot than the dark 30% VTL glasses.

Your not going to get super tight beam with those 8W diodes, thats just how they are. You can try a 2 or 3 element lens with a little loss of power. I have heard the rare storys of 3 element lenes burning out the diode by reflecting back to the diode because of the extra lenses being closer to it??

The beam expander as you know makes the spot go further. I think you have to set the main lens wider at first and then focus the expander Like member "ChromeCaviar" mentioned?

Member "RedCowBoy" has mastered beam expanders and hope he chimes in.

You should get better batterys. Those GTL's are like the ****fires. I saw a video that they are really around 500mah.

AW, Efest etc. you know the deal.
Be safe and enjoy.

Last edited:

Back