Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Kryton.... It's.... INSANE!!

Woah! Are Long open cans supposed to do this!!!
I had the laser set to lase at 270mW's and it ran at that for a while, then the power has stepped up to 345mW <-NOT a typo!
The driver's pot position wouldn'tve moved as it is encased in sillicone and the battery isn't new. I asked Ken and he said it's the diode settling in. But I've never heard of a laser doing this passive cooled. It also has been on for 4 mins nonstop so it's a stable power.
Pics of meter and videos of burning soon.

A problem.... it is so powerful now that the dot even at a big size burns the high-temp paint on the sensor.
But for proof, diachi will testify as he saw on webcam.

JLSE

happytomato said:
Woah! Are Long open cans supposed to do this!!!
I had the laser set to lase at 270mW's and it ran at that for a while, then the power has stepped up to 345mW <-NOT a typo!
The driver's pot position wouldn'tve moved as it is encased in sillicone and the battery isn't new. I asked Ken and he said it's the diode settling in. But I've never heard of a laser doing this passive cooled. It also has been on for 4 mins nonstop so it's a stable power.

Diode setting in, or pot failing?

wannaburn said:
[quote author=happytomato link=1225224338/0#0 date=1225224338]Woah! Are Long open cans supposed to do this!!!

[/quote]
The pot would be prevented from moving by the sillicone...

JLSE

happytomato said:
[quote author=wannaburn link=1225224338/0#7 date=1225226304][quote author=happytomato link=1225224338/0#0 date=1225224338]Woah! Are Long open cans supposed to do this!!!

[/quote]
[/quote]

I meant internally, the fine contacts can break down under heavy load, when they cant hold will eventually pass ALL availible current.

just a thought.

wannaburn said:
[quote author=happytomato link=1225224338/0#8 date=1225228418][quote author=wannaburn link=1225224338/0#7 date=1225226304][quote author=happytomato link=1225224338/0#0 date=1225224338]Woah! Are Long open cans supposed to do this!!!

[/quote]
[/quote]

I meant internally, the fine contacts can break down under heavy load, when they cant hold will eventually pass ALL availible current.

just a thought.[/quote]
It's entirely possible. Eitherway it's been running like this happily.

jamilm9 said:
check how much current its drawing.
I will. - How do you do it again?

I have also pretty much got this lasers character noted. This morning it was cold and peaked at 355mW, and then  stays there for a few mins and finally stops at about 320mW where it sits happily for as long as I tested.

Zom-B

Linear driver? measure the current from the butt of the batteries to the case, by using the amp meter in place of the tail switch

Flexdrive? A little more complicated. You'd have to measure the current at the LD side. You can approximate it by taking the current at the battery side, multiplied by the total battery voltage (minus voltage drop over possible diode), divide by 3V (laser diode voltage) and multiply by ~0.8 (efficiency of the driver)