Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first 445nm build questions

I am pretty familiar with SMC electronics, and electronics in general. Lasers however are new territory, but one that being a student working on a bachelors in physics, i should learn. I am aware of most safety aspects of lasers, like glasses, surfaces, and skin contact. And knowing something about electronics i am not too lost. Here is the list of parts i have on the way.

2 - MicroFlexDrive v5
2 - Micro-Drive V3
1 - 808nm 300mw LD
1 - 660nm 250mw LD
1 - DealExtreme True 5mw Green laser pointer
1 - DealExtreme True 200mw module(for swap)

I want to buy a 445nm diode, so im thinking of investing in one of the Casio XJ-A130`s since best buy has them on sale right now.

My questions are as follows:

1. I like the microflexdrive since it can drive up to 1.2a, but they are a bit pricey(compared to the microdrive). Is there a good sustitute, or should i stick with that for high power builds?

2. I like the micro-drive as far as affordability, but the dropout voltage is kinda high. Would the groove 2 be a better substitute?

3. What are the overall pros and cons of the commercially available drivers and which ones are your personal favorites?

4. I love the cr123 batteries. I use them in my SureFire(was thinking of making it a laser, if it didnt cost me $130, lol), and they have a lot of power and voltage. They seem like a good choice for this application. Is that so?

5. if it is, where can i find a GOOD heatsink for this body?

Anything else you guys can inject into this thread is accepted and appreciated.

Thank you,
Earl

Edit: The flashlight link is broken, but the flashlight is basically a 2 cell cr123 surefire knockoff. try searching MXDL 5w, and click the dealextreme link.

Last edited:

Kevlar

Your CR123 body link isn't working but if you want custom machined heatsinks I would go with flaminpyro, his machining skills are exploratory!!!

The micro-drive you are talking about, is it the rckstr? If so, you can only get about 430mA out of it. Thats ok if that is all you want to driver your 445nm diode but some members have those diodes being driven over 1A!!! So the flexdrive or the micro-boost drive from drlava are very good choices.

Some have also used commercially available drivers such as the AMC7135 and others from DX.

I just noticed i went off topic... Can a mod please move this to a more general thread?