Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 445 nm in a pocket mini

Autist

Hi All,

I have finally joined the 445 nm club.. :wave:

First, acknowledgments:

DrLava for the Micro Boostdrive, :thanks:
JayRob for the pocket mini kit, and the custom copper heatsink, :thanks:
Scopeguy20 for the 445 nm diode, and the Aixiz lens. :thanks:

The driver is set to 842 mA and I have a tantalum bead across the driver input to absorb spikes from switch bounce, and to slow the inrush of current. I have found that if a capacitor is across the diode, if there is a poor connection somewhere ( diode or cap) then the capacitor will discharge through the diode..... not good.

In previous experiments, and from research, if two identically sized panels (one painted black the other left as metal finish) are heated to the same temperature, the one painted black cools faster. It radiates heat better than the non painted panel. This is why the heatsink is painted black.

I increased the surface area of the copper heatsink by drilling blind holes around the outer surface to assist in thermal radiation.

I drilled the host to allow increased ventilation to the heatsink.

I have had about 30 minutes run time so far, only got through one and a half battery charges. Longest on time is around 8 minutes non stop. It got quite warm. :whistle:

A great colour, unfortunately, I was unable to capture the beam pointing up at the sky in a picture...:yabbmad:

The fence in the pictures is 41 feet away from the pointers.

The red is an LCC from a GGW-H20 sled from Kendall :)thanks:) at 396 mA in a mkI dilda. Lens from LarryDFW :)thanks:) bought about a year ago.
The 405 nm is an SF-AW from amkdeath :)thanks:) at 142 mA in a red mkII dilda with an o-like 405 nm driver (NOT the new one with the push button), and a 405-g-1 lens from JayRob :)thanks:). This one actually burns the skin more than the 445 nm at the same distance... (41 feet)

Best wishes

David

Attachments

• Disassembled.jpg
    Disassembled.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Night Beam Shot.jpg
    Night Beam Shot.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Day 'Spot' Shot.jpg
    Day 'Spot' Shot.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 114