Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Multi-Color Laser Box (White Included)

Dog

Hi! I'm planning to create a 7 color laser box (Red, Green, Blue, Magenta, Cyan, Yellow, and White) similar to this one. I created a small diagram of how I am going to place the diodes and dichroic mirrors, but I need a little help on the output ratio. Ideally, I would like >100mw of output power of the three diodes combined. I was thinking R:G:B -> 100:10:50 would work with the small amount I know about the lasers I own. This is what I'm thinking:
WhiteLaserDiagram.png
using this and this.
Is this build possible for <$50? If so, which diodes should I get?

Hi! I'm planning to create a 7 color laser box (Red, Green, Blue, Magenta, Cyan, Yellow, and White) similar to this one. I created a small diagram of how I am going to place the diodes and dichroic mirrors, but I need a little help on the output ratio. Ideally, I would like >100mw of output power of the three diodes combined. I was thinking R:G:B -> 100:10:50 would work with the small amount I know about the lasers I own. This is what I'm thinking:
View attachment 49572
using this and this.
Is this build possible for <$50? If so, which diodes should I get?

Read my thread on RGB Dichroics Mirror which talks about this. I also doubt you will have a good quality build for less than 50 dollars as you have to pay for 3 diodes + dichroic mirrors + mounts + box.

There is also a bit of maths involved in the thread mentioning a good ratio for a good white and it can be tweaked. Anyways, remember to have good protection like a beamstop because you don't want the bloody thing to reflect into your eyes at 100mW+ ranges! You also don't have to have it at 7 colours because you can use potentiometers to adjust the output of each laser to change the colour.

Link to the thread:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/rgb-dichroic-mirrors-94637.html

Have fun! :beer:

Last edited:

Dog

Thanks for the feedback. The post you included was very helpful. I'm considering the 4:1:8 (Red:Green:Blue) ratio. Do you think I could get away with a 20mw Red, 5mw Green, 50mw Blue. I don't mind if the color is slightly off, I just want a 7 color box instead of 4 colors + 3 other shades of green. I would really appreciate if you could find me a better mix with the same price range (~$10 each).

The proper ratio for white depends on the wavelengths you use. This tool will tell you the proper ratio. Chroma - a laser color blender You can deviate a bit from this and your eyes will auto-white balance.

R:G:B of 4:1:8 will look blue or purple depending on the wavelengths you use. 1:1:1 or 4:1:2 are more common with standard wavelengths.

Dog

I keep getting an error when I click on the download link. Could you tell me what outputs you would choose? Again, I just want 7 distinct colors. Could you also tell me 2 ideal outputs of red and green to make yellow in case this project fails and I want to reuse some of the parts for a yellow laser similar to styropyro's.

using analog drivers will give you a couple of benefits:

1) you'll have basically unlimited colors instead of 7

2) fixed color ratios at the beginning are less importation because you can tweak color levels in real time after the device is assembled.

Dog

So I could potentially have a laser like this if I use analog drivers? Where do I get them? I looked them up but I can't find a good source. Is it possible to get the 3 modules + analog drivers for <$50?

So I could potentially have a laser like this if I use analog drivers? Where do I get them? I looked them up but I can't find a good source. Is it possible to get the 3 modules + analog drivers for <$50?

1) Yes
2) No

diachi

This isn't something that can be done for $50. Some analogue laser drivers cost more than that on their own.

Also - you'd need to replace the drivers on the modules you listed, are you half decent at soldering?

Dog

I don't have any experience soldering, although I just bought a 60w solder gun and a roll of rosin core flux to get me started. The only thing I don't know, which I plan to look up, is how to provide power to the driver if it doesn't come with the wires sticking out. Could I get 3 of these for $30? It states that it's suitable for Red/Green/Blue but also for 50mA - 2500mA output which I think is ~200mw+ with a 3.7v battery. Can I lower that amount without decreasing voltage? Also, how do I adjust the output while the device is on? I would really appreciate if someone gave a source explaining exactly what analogue drivers do and some pros/cons.

Last edited:
using analog drivers will give you a couple of benefits:

1) you'll have basically unlimited colors instead of 7

2) fixed color ratios at the beginning are less importation because you can tweak color levels in real time after the device is assembled.

Hi Swamidog any suggestions for portable drivers for this kind of set up?

Dog

I did a bit of research. Could I hook up my modules' wires to a breadboard with a potentiometer like this, only with a laser module instead of a fan (I do this three separate times: one for each module) If so, what kind of potentiometers should I use if I'm using a 100mw 405nm module, 50mw 532nm module, and a 200mw 650nm module?

Last edited: