Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Modifying Spyder 3 Arctic to lightsaber

Hi to all!
I’m new to the forum and have been working (and by working I mean tinkering mostly) for some time now and now that I have a Spyder 3 Arctic and some parts am stepping it up. The premise is pretty basic, I’m modifying the SP3 to be a ‘cosmetically functional’ lightsaber, as in when the prototype is complete, a button is pressed on the device that will rapidly send out a telescoping rod with a small fixed concave mirror on the top with the laser is engaged with a beam expander and encompassing concave mirror on the bottom to create the proper visible effect. I’ve been using a small telescope and lenses and mirror from Ward’s to get a proof of concept down and the initial results look promising. Again I’m pretty new at this so any suggestions or comments from you vets would be very helpful. Here are some pics of my initial test. I’ll post more as the prototype develops. Enjoy and thanks!
-Mike

8022-stationary-mirror-array-no-beam-expander.jpg

8023-stationary-mirror-array-beam-expander.jpg

djQUAN

Idea sounds ok but I'm worried when swinging it about and the mirror at the end of your pole gets misaligned letting the laser shoot out and possibly hit someone directly or indirectly to the eye.

Thanks for the feedback! That's been a concern of mine as well, my hope is once I get the mechanics worked out I can make sure the rod is totally stable to eliminate that risk, though at this point it would be more for show than 'hard swinging'. Thanks!

Last edited:

an0n

Hey bro!

A couple of things...

1. Awesome pics!

2. FOR THE LOVE OF G-D MICHAEL DON'T TRY IT!!!!!! lol... actually there are threads on this site and articles you can find on this topic, but at best you'd break the diode and at worst you blind yourself, your wife, your baby and and burn down your house...

3. I got you into this and you don't even tell me you're doing it?

4. What's your current email address?? tell me through mom and dad or email me or something. i will send you mine in a PM but i don't login here often. i used to have an account here but i couldn't recover it.

I am not sure I understand the concept. Are saying that you are bouncing back the beam back to the S3?

I assume you already know this.. but Wicked Laser actually sells a polycarbonate rod to attach onto the end of the spyder 3. It doesn't retract, and has an 1/8" wall on it.. It's kinda' cool though.. the light creeps down the blade by using a ball that blocks the light which "floats" down the blade when you turn it on. Perhaps you could use the same concept.

Spyder 3 Powered LaserSaber | Wicked Lasers

Not sure there's enough room to store a rod INSIDE the handle, unless you use a telescoping tube that nests around the existing handle, and build a lightsaber body around that?

Meet LaserSaber, a Lightsaber Clone of Spectacular Intensity | Gadget Lab | Wired.com