Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

military grade laser...

ARSIS

Even at this level, it would be like trying to cut a game or livestock hide with the tip of a soldering iron.

And AFAIK, those designs can only produce short pulses, not continuous beams for minutes at a time like you'd need to get the belly-cut on a deer or a cow or whatever.

Members here have produced battery operated IR lasers about the size of a "Bazooka" with a portable battery box, and a PVC pipe to hold the laser that used surplus industrial laser tubes, but all they can do is fire for a few seconds and produce a burnt spot on a piece of wood from across a room.

You'd need something like a 20W or higher industrial CO2 rig like is used to engrave or cut steel. Assuming it was up to your abilities, it would be hand-held, but tied by a fiber optic cable to something the size of a large generator box, a cube roughly 3 feet on a side.

And even then, it would cut poorly, because while such a laser can blast or vaporize metal, it would have the large wet mass of the animal's flesh behind the skin and on all sides sucking away the heat, and/or making steam and smoke to diffuse the beam.

To see what it would be like to try and skin an animal with a laser, just get a propane torch, MAPP gas rig, or an oxy-acetylene rig, turn the flame to it's hottest and tightest point, and try to "skin" the animal with that.

The results will look about the same. A stinky smoky mess. :D

I know it seems like a smart-ass answer to post a picture of a knife, but it's infinitely more practical.

To "knock your socks" off at a reasonable price, I'd spend about $200 or less on a 532nm DPSS green handheld laser that's about 200-400mW in power from one of the reputable sellers. It will go for MILES in the air at night. The beam will be visible at short range even in full daylight. You'll be able to light matches, pop balloons, and burn through stuff like electrical tape and CD/DVD plastic cases.

Buy safety goggles with anything over 5-10mW, two pair for you and your brother to wear when playing with it. One flash reflected off of a piece of glass, or smooth metal surface etc. can leave a blind spot in your eye for life. No joke.

now that was a good read! i see my limitations with lasers. i'll stick to the ole fish fillet knife for future field dressing. i still want to play with a good high powered hand held laser. what's the highest powered hand held out there? i like blue, i guess green will work :)

In blue or green the highest would be a 1w+ 445nm(blue) and if you do a search you can find 1 for sale and built by one of the members!

Last edited:

maybe you shouldn't be using such a powerful laser if you arnt fully familiar with its operation and proper use and safety precautions needed to operate it

Last edited:

ARSIS

maybe you shouldn't be using such a powerful laser if you arnt fully familiar with its operation and proper use and safety precautions needed to operate it

dude... i served 8 years in the united states marine corps as a counter/scout sniper. i think i can handle a laser.

dude... i served 8 years in the united states marine corps as a counter/scout sniper. i think i can handle a laser.

ok but what does any of that have to do with lasers? idc if you were Stephen hawking for 10 years it doesn't mean that you know just how dangerous a laser that powerful is, and you want to go around trying to burn living creatures with it? that's just asking for trouble, as a self proclaimed "laser newb" you should really be open to all the advice you can possibly get

ARSIS

ok but what does any of that have to do with lasers? idc if you were Stephen hawking for 10 years it doesn't mean that you know just how dangerous a laser that powerful is, and you want to go around trying to burn living creatures with it? that's just asking for trouble, as a self proclaimed "laser newb" you should really be open to all the advice you can possibly get

surface to air missile... use lasers to home in on target. you know how many iraqi civilian and military personnel had their eyes and flesh burned because our troops fvcked with them just out of spite. we used lasers buddy... A.R.T. auto range telescope. if you held your hand above the scope for more than 2 seconds you would get a nice burn.