Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Math on building custom drivers? Help please.

The driver. And yes, as Bob_Boyce explained it to me, it's because fresh from the charger, the voltage is abnormally high for a while, so you should let it settle before connecting them to the driver, lest you fry it...

That only applies to flexdrives and 3.6v batteries. If you were only using one battery, or using 2x 3.0v batteries this shouldn't be a problem. It's also not a problem with rkcstr drivers or LM317T drivers, since rkcstr drivers can handle up to 16v and homemade 317T drivers will handle up to whatever the rating on your capacitors is, up to 35v.

I didn't try to protect the diode that way, it's just better this way, since the module is glued into the host, so I'd have to cut it out, while the driver is just on a piece of wire.

Also, I like the flexdrive more, since it requires less power to operate, and I was kinda tight on battery space in my first build, and will continue to want to keep things small, so I'll need the smallest driver as well as the most efficient.

But hey, to each their own taste :)
I didn't mean to diss or flame anyone or anything... :)