Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Massive Dichro Supply

I bought a faulty NJD Blitzer unit, which basically created multi coloured beams from a 100W bulb, reflects it off of a rotating disk covered in different coloured dichros and through a lens at the front turning them into seperate beams, from ebay a few months back and I finally got it, unfortunately it needs a new component and transformer but I did discover from one of the loose dichros that it makes perfect dichroic lenses for lasers.

The one I tested it on seams to pass a lot of red and reflect almost all of green which gets me thinking what the others will do. Maybe a blue dichro?

Anyway if I can't get the thing fixed I am going to totally take it apart which will give me about 30 different coloured dichro lenses :D

Anyone done anything similar before? or whilst im here, know where I can get a 12V transformer?

Benm

A 12V transformer you can pick up at any store that sells electronic components (radioshack?), trouble is finding one that fits.

Those dichro's could be interesting as they are usually quite expensive. I don't think they will be off comparable quality to the ones intended for laser beam combining, but perhaps they are good enough for some experimenting... if you find a nice set that allows RGB combination with acceptable losses and distortion, its worth the price of the lightshow ;)

jake21 said:
do u have pictures of what u bought ? im looking at few items that has some big cubes on it http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360123535080&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023  is this worth the price >????

Ah, what I have doesn't have dichroic cubes. It has the thin 3mm lens type.

I have a NJD Blitzer, the old shape ones... In fact the sticker on the inside says it was made in 1994 :eek: This is what I have anyway, I picked it up on eBay for £10.
http://www.djpricecheck.co.uk/listing/NJD_Blitzer_100W_Sound_To_Light_Auto_Moo/1000061065/

Benm

I've seen some of those in the past, never realized they use dichros for the colors, i always figured they used gels... never opened one up though ;)

Benm said:
I've seen some of those in the past, never realized they use dichros for the colors, i always figured they used gels... never opened one up though ;)

Yeah, I was actually clueless as to how these work when I bought it. When I opened it up theres only one circuit board, a transformer, a motor with a dish on the end and a place to slot in a 100W halogen bulb.

The it actually made me laugh when I first opened it up, imagine a dish that slopes about 7 degrees into the center. All it works on is multi coloured dichors placed in random orders onto the dish. The bulb is placed in front of the dish so that it can be focused onto the dish the best it can be. Once the light is turned on it reflects off the dish and through a lens on the front of the enclosure (which is actually incredibly good at focusing laser beams as I descovered).

Only thing I don't understand is how the light is meant to reflect off of the dish and go straight out the front lens without the bulb blocking out the light as its perfectly in line with the center of the dish and center of the front lens. Obviously it works but I don't understand how...

Anyway theres a short on the circuit and it needs a new transformer as it blew up when I was testing it... Turned that off just in time as a 1 inch arc and smoke started coming off it.

Benm

Its a neat piece of engineering to get the effect produced at such little cost.

I reckon those dichro's are inexpensive too.. the ones sold for laser use come at a hefty price tag, but those are also flat to below the wavelength and made of optical grade glass. For the light effect it would probably suffice to roughly coat some pieces of plastic or bottle glass ;)

Benm said:
Its a neat piece of engineering to get the effect produced at such little cost.

I reckon those dichro's are inexpensive too.. the ones sold for laser use come at a hefty price tag, but those are also flat to below the wavelength and made of optical grade glass. For the light effect it would probably suffice to roughly coat some pieces of plastic or bottle glass ;)

Despite not working its a great deal for what I have, it should only cost about £20 to get it fixed.

Brand new and in the new model the Blitzer is worth £80. As for the dichros, I will be hoest and I dont know if they are glass or plastic. They feel like glass and sound like glass if you drop it on a table from half a foot but it weighs so little it feels like plastic.

I will get a picture when I am home.

Picture of the dish and dichros.

Attachments

• 14012009211.jpg
    14012009211.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 337

diachi

the orange ones there reflect green, the blue ones reflect red. ;) nice find !

Diachi said:
the orange ones there reflect green, the blue ones reflect red.   ;) nice find !

Awesome :D Its an orange one that came off so that could be handy for my next scanner build :)

Picture of the space inside.

Attachments

• 14012009208.jpg
    14012009208.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 301

diachi

Btw, they might not reflect well from certain angles, the ones I have ( out of a projector ) reflect best from straight on.

Diachi said:
Btw, they might not reflect well from certain angles, the ones I have ( out of a projector ) reflect best from straight on.

I just pointed a red at the orange one that came out and most of it goes straight through.

Angle doesn't seam a problem but the trouble is there was a bit of glue on the other side of it which distorts the dot a bit.

diachi

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=Diachi link=1231879516/0#12 date=1231959740]Btw, they might not reflect well from certain angles, the ones I have ( out of a projector ) reflect best from straight on.

I just pointed a red at the orange one that came out and most of it goes straight through.

Angle doesn't seam a problem but the trouble is there was a bit of glue on the other side of it which distorts the dot a bit.[/quote]

yeah that can be a problem :-/ red will be passed by the orange ones though.

mines were out of a projector, so no glue on them :)