Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

making your own acrylic/plastic lens

donkeywonkey

I bought some of lenses recently to make lines or crosses using a laser pointer.

Does anyone know what the process is called that creates this effect? How does one make a pattern to create a desired shape?

If you look closely at the lens it has a wavy shape, but not sure how it corresponds to the resulting laser shape.

I can't post images but if you search for laser line lens or laser cross lens you will see a kind of interference pattern type shape that the lens has on the outside.
For example this one below creates a simple horizontal line.

It's just a negative cylinder lens with a short focal length. Two cylinder lenses, one orthogonal to the other, create a cross instead of a line, because half of the beam is passing through each. The "wavy pattern" is because they're fresnel lenses.

andrew6NB

I bought some of lenses recently to make lines or crosses using a laser pointer.

Does anyone know what the process is called that creates this effect? How does one make a pattern to create a desired shape?

If you look closely at the lens it has a wavy shape, but not sure how it corresponds to the resulting laser shape.

Have you been trying it before?

I can't post images but if you search for laser line lens or laser cross lens you will see a kind of interference pattern type shape that the lens has on the outside.
For example this one below creates a simple horizontal line.
Extremely thin lines are etched onto the lens surface. If you have a big piggy bank you can purchase the equipment to do that.

Extremely thin lines are etched onto the lens surface.

NO. Did you not read the thread? Did you not read my post? Here. HERE's a picture from when I googled line lens.

It's JUST waves in the injection mold, my man.

13090001.jpg

NO. Did you not read the thread? Did you not read my post? Here. HERE's a picture from when I googled line lens.

It's JUST waves in the injection mold, my man.

13090001.jpg
Golly! bite my head off will ya. A hard carving wax is suitable. A high durometer Tin cure silicone for making a mold. Carving tools. Various grades of fine grit sand paper to produce a polished surface. Perhaps even ultra fine polishing compounds. A water clear casting compound to make the lens. Perhaps a mold release. Perhaps a vacuum pump and vacuum chamber to get rid of bubbles in the casting material. Money to buy all you need plus time to practice.