Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making first laser need help

Hi this is my first post so sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section or done anything wrong.
I'm making my first laser and i was wondering do i need a bigger heat sink or is the one i'm getting fine??

Link to diode:
One extra high burning power (1000mW-1500mW) 808nm TO-5 9mm laser diode + Gift* | eBay

Link to host:
808nm Laser Module Host/For TO5 9mm Laser Diode w/h 3 elements glass Lens | eBay

Link to Heatsink:
Heatsink for ?12mm Laser Module/Laser Heat Dispensation Dvice/Aluminum Heatsink | eBay

that DOES look like a pretty tiny heat sink, to me. But if you keep your duty times low (on-off heating-cooling times) you should be okay. I wouldn't keep it on more than 20 or 30 seconds at a time. The first time, make sure you're holding the heat sink and paying attention to how hot it gets.

shut it off as soon as the heat sink feels pretty warm . The diode within will be much hotter, since it takes time for the heat to dissipate outward from the diode, through the module to the heat sink.

unless you have some sort of active cooling, such as a TEC (thermo-electric cooling) you will be subject to duty times, one way or the other.

Last edited:

be careful with infrared. I hope you have some safety glasses.

on another note I like your thinking! that would actually work lol. It would not be the most efficient heatsink but it is better then nothing.

If you do use that I recommend using arctic silver thermal adhesives to keep the heatsink tubes together and it will improve the heat transfer between the tubes.

Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive

Now here is where things get fun. Do you ever want to be able to remove the module from the heatsink? If so then don't use thermal adhesive on the module. You will want to use arctic silver, then to hold it in place you would want to drill a hole into the heatsink and tap it so you can screw a tiny allen in to hold the module in place. If you don't care about ever removing it again the just use the thermal adhesive (but I personally would never do that incase something is wrong).

Arctic Silver Incorporated - Arctic Silver 5

Also if you are not planning on making it into a handheld laser then this would work nicely.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45x45x23mm-heavy-duty-aluminum-mount-for-AixiZ-12X30mm-units-/360531349371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f157cf7b

Last edited:
I want to make the laser handheld so i want to use rounded heat sinks so it can fit in a handle.What about if i just get a solid cylinder of copper and drill a 12mm hole so i can fit the host in there? and would you recommend using arctic silver between the host and heatsink?