Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making a grating?

i was joking with some friends with my new laser
and i thought about using those silly gratings u get with cheapo red lasers, like the ones that project a nude woman onto a wall.

well

i was wondering if it was possible to MAKE a grating? or do i have to order a special one to a factory

if anyone knows, please help :)

PD: for example, i would like to make a BATMAN symbol grating :p

No idea how but I am sure you can. Refractions, reflections and such can be over powering to the eye and as such be careful with "stray rays" and friends that are not visually protected. Unfortunately, it is easier and safer to have buddies watch via a digicam or a webcam. Yeah I know its not as impressive,,, but no one will get hurt, and thats the long term fact of importance.

SN

L

likewhat

nikokapo said:
i was joking with some friends with my new laser
and i thought about using those silly gratings u get with cheapo red lasers, like the ones that project a nude woman onto a wall.

well

i was wondering if it was possible to MAKE a grating? or do i have to order a special one to a factory

if anyone knows, please help :)

PD: for example, i would like to make a BATMAN symbol grating :p

I think you are referring to a hole that is shaped like something. A grating is different, it doesnt make shapes it causes the beam to diffract off of it at an angle that depends on the incident angle, the ruling density and the wavelength of the light. An example of a grating is bottom of a CD. If you want to project the shape of something you just make the shape and then shoot the laser through it.

NO, no.
i was not talking about a hole in a paper or something like that.

a diffraction grating with a shape is what i am trying to ask, because those ones i have that came with my red laser..i am sure they are difraction gratings, they are like small-sized gratings like those ones from dragonlasers

PD: i cant create a hole on a piece of paper that is as tiny as the beam of my laser

L

likewhat

Is there a link to what these are? I couldnt find it on the dragon lasers website.

Edit:

I found a picture of what I think you are talking about, in which case the shape is on a hologram that you shine the laser through. You can make holograms of anything you want. I think it is pretty easy (ive never done it myself) but you need some special "film" to do it. There are lots of website about how to do it.