Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Low Power (~5mw) Blue 445nm Lasers

ddhank

Newbie question here:
Is there any particular reason why class IIIa 445nm lasers are so hard to find, and not very cheap when I do find them?

Red and green seem to be widely available in all kinds of power ranges, and with prices being fairly consistent with their power outputs. Yet with blues, it's hard to find anything even near the ~5mW range - and when I do, they're just as expensive as the bigger ones.

What is it that I don't know about, and which makes the lack of low cost, low power 445nm's on the market make sense?

Neither Google searches, nor a search of this forum found anything on the topic - though it's possible I just didn't guess the right words to look for?

Thanks!
Doug

I think Zbolt has one for $150. Otherwise you have to make your own, or modify that $60 NewWish type pointer.

They're just as expensive because the only two diode types available are Single mode 50/100/whatever mW, and the multimode 2W. So the only way to get 5mW is to under-run a 50mW diode.

DrSid

I wonder .. wouldn't time modulation solve the problem ? I mean let's flash the diode at few kHz at 1% on/off ratio ..

^Except you'd still have to pay $40+ for a multimode diode, and $50+ for a single mode diode. Easier to just turn down the current on a single mode.

i actually won a 5mW 445nm laser from wicked lasers. haven't gotten it yet but should i post a review of it on this thread? (i can't do LPM tests :( )

ddhank

i actually won a 5mW 445nm laser from wicked lasers. haven't gotten it yet but should i post a review of it on this thread? (i can't do LPM tests :( )

Yeah, a review would be great! ...Or, if there's another form that's better for posting reviews, a link to it would be cool. Also, if WL lists these for sale somewhere, I'd appreciate a link.

Yeah, a review would be great! ...Or, if there's another form that's better for posting reviews, a link to it would be cool. Also, if WL lists these for sale somewhere, I'd appreciate a link.

They don't sell them anymore :( if you post a picture on their Facebook page and they share it, you win a laser or $100 credit. They offered me 4 choices and the 5mW 445nm was the most appealing choice. I wish they still sold them so it would be easier to get one.