Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to Buy TEA laser or UV laser (not 405nm)

Hey guys, I keep getting deeper and deeper into lasers, I was wondering if anyone has a professionally built TEA laser or at least one that is not sketchy made, (such as the one on YouTube called coaxial TEA laser) or any UV laser not 405nm I mean like 365nm or so. Thanks!

What is your intended application? Do you just want to experiment with a UV laser beam? If so, a DIY TEA Nitrogen laser is actually very simple to build. In fact the technology to build one has been around for ~200 years, which is hilarious considering that the first laser was built in 1960. I'm actually gonna try throwing together one today. All you need is some Al foil, plastic sheeting, some bar or angle Aluminum, wire, coins (for spark gap) and a ~5kV DC PSU. The PSU is probably the hardest part to obtain, but still easy. In the first link I give the guy uses a transformer out of a Xerox copier along with a diode. I'm going to use an old neon sign transformer with a diode from a microwave oven and a resistor. You could always just get a little HV PSU off ebay.

I definitely recommend you just build your own, it is very doable at home and you'll learn by building it!

The Professor's Homebuilt Lasers Site - TEA Nitrogen Laser

TEA Nitrogen Laser: 12 Steps (with Pictures)

Wow! I would have never thought styro would reply to me :) yes my intentions were to experiment with them I wanted one like the UV diode you luckily found on your video but those are hard to find. Also I just purchased an ssy-1 yag laser so I’m trying to power that also. But thank you so much. I will try to build it :) (any recommendations on ssy-1 yag laser power supply?)

Reactions: GSS
The nitrogen laser has even a lower wavelength (337nm) so you can likely do more tricks than I could do with the 375nm pointer (that is now dead. :( ) I definitely recommend the TEA laser build though, very easy.

As for the SSY-1 laser, I've never messed with one but I've used a similar laser. An old camera was literally all I needed to power it, it has a necessary capacitor and trigger to fire the flashlamp. You can always add more capacitors to increase the output too. I have a video on that called "laser taser" I think. That being said, a circuit to fire a SSY1 laser is approaching lethal energies, so don't dive into a project like that without proper reading. Plus the output of that laser can pop your eyeballs in an instant, so wear goggles!

Good luck with the builds!

Nice of you to give these links to an easy N2 TEA laser, styropyro. One of these days when I have nothing better to do I'll consider building one also. Seems like I have too many projects going all the time. I have to finish my three channel PWM to control a 300 mW RGB laser's TTL inputs today. + rep.

Last edited:
Ha ha I totally know the feeling of too many projects at once. I have countless unfinished projects and designs that get put to the side when I find something else interesting. The TEA laser though it really cheap and easy! I built mine yesterday but fried my capacitor, and am rebuilding that part now.

Also...the TEA L.A.S.E.R. is really a L.O.S.E.R. because it is actually running as an oscillator, not an amplifier. :D Now that I think about it, the majority of my lasers are really losers...

Have a wonderful Christmas, styropyro. Take the day off from building and enjoy yourself. Hope you can be with family and friends. :yh:

well if you got lucky, yeah you could do a nitrogen laser, or maybe find a UV HeCd, alot of those have been floating around ebay, but they are very fragile and hard to ship. those are your cheapest uv options.

Last edited: