Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lightscribe... Burning laser?

I've been doing some reading lately (see: wikipedia) and have, after I raised thoughts over the matter, discovered lightscribe technology is a 780nm laser.

However, I do not know the power of this laser....

Does anyone know about harvesting lightscribe diodes/lasers as a functioning IR laser?

Switch

I always thought it uses the red diode.But if it's 780nm then it just uses the CD-R diode. :p So the diode is probably as powerfull as any 52x CD writer diode. :-/

Did you see how it works? It says there is a reactive dye that when it gets 780nm light it changes colour.

So it doesn't burn it at all, it just changes the chemistry a bit. I wager it would be a pretty weak laser then, certainly not better than an existing CD burner diode or anything.

Switch

Murudai said:
Did you see how it works? It says there is a reactive dye that when it gets 780nm light it changes colour.

So it doesn't burn it at all, it just changes the chemistry a bit. I wager it would be a pretty weak laser then, certainly not better than an existing CD burner diode or anything.
Well that's kinda how the data part is "burnt" aswell. :-/ Just reactive dyes.I do believe it uses the actual CD burner diode for lightscribe. :-/

I was wondering that too. Like, if it just uses an ordinary CD burner to do it, you just turn the CD up the other way :p

But I'm not so sure, after reading more. I dunno, need more info.

The laser is diode in those is the same as CD burner LDs, someone a while ago tested it and it wasn't any different than the 52x burners.

iewed

Depending on what you want to write, your diode (As well as diode power) will vary. You know that in their Blu-Ray writer and DVD writer models LightScribe doesn't use 52X CD diodes...