Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lighting matches from 25 feet away.

Razako

Forgive my incredibly noob video making skills and crappy camera.
I measured the distance with a tape measure and moved the laser 25 feet back.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNIMZj3x61g[/media]

what laser are u using there?
if thats an RPL, 15 feet should be no problem without the use of a lens.

Razako

I can do it without the lens but it takes a lot longer. With the lens the match ignites almost instantly after you focus the beam on it correctly. I will post some 10-15 foot no lens videos later.

the key is correct mounting/focusing.
my house doesnt have a longer span than 5 meters, even at that distance my RPL smoked a cigarette.
at bigger distances, focusing becomes a pain.

Ace82

Switch said:
You can light matches from 200 ft with a big enough lens :D

Is there a limit? The photons don’t vanish, only dissipate right? If a laser was collimated again and again, would it eventually loose power? I believe it would as I’m sure a % of photons would reflect off the lens and would be dispersed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcWqgbn7fA - I'm sure most of you have already seen this video, but I thought posting this link would be appropriate. (no, not my video!) "I think I'll start a forest fire" - Dead Kennedys :p

Razako

Ace82 said:
[quote author=Switch link=1203115734/0#4 date=1203166268]You can light matches from 200 ft with a big enough lens :D

Is there a limit? The photons don’t vanish, only dissipate right? If a laser was collimated again and again, would it eventually loose power? I believe it would as I’m sure a % of photons would reflect off the lens and would be dispersed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcWqgbn7fA - I'm sure most of you have already seen this video, but I thought posting this link would be appropriate. (no, not my video!) "I think I'll start a forest fire" - Dead Kennedys :p[/quote]
You wouldn't be able to keep the beam going forever because it is constantly hitting tiny particles/humidity in the air and losing strength. That is the reason why you can see the beam of a laser.

Ace82

Razako said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1203115734/0#5 date=1204042668][quote author=Switch link=1203115734/0#4 date=1203166268]You can light matches from 200 ft with a big enough lens :D

Is there a limit?  The photons don’t vanish, only dissipate right?  If a laser was collimated again and again, would it eventually loose power?  I believe it would as I’m sure a % of photons would reflect off the lens and would be dispersed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcWqgbn7fA - I'm sure most of you have already seen this video, but I thought posting this link would be appropriate.  (no, not my video!) "I think I'll start a forest fire" - Dead Kennedys :p[/quote]
You wouldn't be able to keep the beam going forever because it is constantly hitting tiny particles/humidity in the air and losing strength.  That is the reason why you can see the beam of a laser.[/quote]

What about in space? Are there partials floating around to disrupt a laser beam in space? I image there would be, but no humidity or atmospheric particles. :p

Switch

Yea , theoretically , in a huge enough void with a huge enough lens you can light a match at distance with your 100mW :p But even in space there will be a limit, space is not void , or all darkmatter you know ::) Your beam might get sucked into a black hole too :D