Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lazerer "Grenade" style host in 300mW 532 w/ only 1 16340 3.0V .. would 3.7V be safe?

Lazerer "Grenade" style host in 300mW 532 w/ only 1 16340 3.0V .. would 3.7V be safe?

Hello,

I recently purchased this 300mW 532nm laser locally (not from Laserto or Lazerer.) It is identical to the LZGN "Grenade" series host carried by Lazerer.
Unlike Lazerer's Grenade series in 532nm which range from 30mW to 200mW and all use a single 16340 3.7V li-ion, this laser is 300mW and came with one 3.0V 16340 only rather than a 3.7V.

LZGN532_1.jpg

This greenish Li-Ion is the included battery that came with my 300mW 532nm. It tested at 3.35V after only a minute or so of use so it must truly be only a 3.0V. I am wondering if this laser and the LZGN "Grenade" series Lazerer sells in this host are made by the same company and if Lazerer buys these pre- manufactured as well? If so could I assume that it would also be able to use a 3.7V Li-ion as do the rest of the Lazerer LZGN "Grenade" line?

Or is it possible that the hosts are the same but the interior workings are different and that the 300mW one I have truly can only tolerate 3.0V? Thanks very much with any advice you guys can give me, I would really like to use my 3.7V Li-ions in it but want to be absolutely sure it is safe to do so! I wonder if I would get an increased output as well? :thanks:

123A(16340)3V700MAH%E5%85%85%E7%94%B5%E7%94%B5%E6%B1%A0.jpg

It came in this exact box with charger.
nether-green-laser-pointer-3-big.jpg

Also my apologies to RHD and bluebumblebee that recommended this was too expensive in a previous post. I couldn't resist the temptation to purchase this locally from an electronic seller I know. :eek: ;) I decided to get something I could purchase close by rather than risk shipping from China even though it was a bit more expensive.

Last edited:

JLSE

Re: Lazerer "Grenade" style host in 300mW 532 w/ only 1 16340 3.0V .. would 3.7V be s

You may get away with running at a higher voltage which will increase current to the pump diode..
Though if this laser was set up to run at 3v, you could cause damage.

Should you decide to try this, I would recommend doing so with a LPM on hand
to monitor the output. Otherwise I would not risk it. With DPSS, more current does not
always mean more mW.

Also something to note, most Li-ion's rated at 3.6 are up around 4.2v fully charged.

jimdt7

Re: Lazerer "Grenade" style host in 300mW 532 w/ only 1 16340 3.0V .. would 3.7V be s

Why dont you ask the person/store you bought it from ? :p

Jim

Should you decide to try this, I would recommend doing so with a LPM on hand
to monitor the output. Otherwise I would not risk it. With DPSS, more current does not
always mean more mW.

Thanks Wannaburn that is very good advice. It just seems strange that something as powerful as a 300mW 532nm with an obviously quite high powered IR pump would be designed only to take 3.0V. But that is interesting what you are saying that an increase in Voltage and then current with DPSS does not necessarily increase mW.

Why dont you ask the person/store you bought it from ? :p

Jim

I bought it from someone that sells wholesale Chinese gadgets at a marked up value. I actually asked him about this before I bought it and he had no idea about the voltage. He is a good guy but I think I actually know more about lasers than he does and he didn't seem to want to tell his wholesale source as I think he wants to not publicize the markup he has added to the prices. :)

Thanks Wannaburn that is very good advice. It just seems strange that something as powerful as a 300mW 532nm with an obviously quite high powered IR pump would be designed only to take 3.0V. But that is interesting what you are saying that an increase in Voltage and then current with DPSS does not necessarily increase mW.

You are assuming its 300mW. It could be 200mW or less. Until you get it metered there is no way to tell what its really putting out.

EDIT: The fact Lazerer does not sell a 300mW version is a red flag.

Last edited:

Thanks TJ, yeah I guess I should really LPM it to be sure. Maybe I should ask Max why they don't carry the 300mW if I end up ordering something from him sometime. It did come with an official looking <300mW sticker though. ;)

I'm not really an expert at judging mW but the beam is far brighter than even my 1-1.3W 445nm survival laser so I would think it is at least over 200mW if not more. I'll probably get one of Lasersbee's LPMs at some point in the near future when I can afford more laser gadgets.

For the time being has anyone ever heard or seen a 300mW or even 200mW 532nm running on a single 16340 at 3.0V?

Last edited: