Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laws in Australia

I would guess that you father having a firearms license does not convey/give a license to you to do anything with a firearm--same would be the case with a laser over 1mw --is this not so or do they issue a family license that would include you name on the license as well?

I'd have to double check but if you're under 18 you can apply for a juniors license which will let you shoot under the supervision of
a fully licensed person of the same category or someone approved by the firearms registrar.

Of course it changes state to state but I'd imagine it's much the same

My CWP means I can carry just about any weapon to defend myself...

AUS

OK, here, it depends on what state you are in.

In NSW and VIC you can have up to 5mW. Anything over that which is HAND HELD and BATTERY OPERATED over 5mW is a prohibited weapon. In NSW you are allowed to posses one if you are a member of an astronomy club.

Shooters licenses have nothing to do with lasers.

For those not in Australia who don't know, here is a summary of the laws:

You can only get a firearms license if you are (a) in a shooting club, or (b) are a land holder or have written permission from a landholder to control vermin, and have no criminal record. All firearms have to be registered, stored in an approved safe and the police can enter your house to inspect it at any time without a warrant.

Assault rifles are totally banned.

Any semi auto or pump action shotgun has to have its magazine crimped to hold a maximum of 3 rounds. Box magazines over 5 rounds are illegal. You are only allowed to be in possession of a firearm on the way to or from a club or when actually going shooting. You can't just carry one or have one in your vehicle.

Pistols are only allowed to be used at clubs or carried to or from clubs, not for hunting. In order to get a pistol license you also are fingerprinted and have a police check.

Once you have a license you have to apply to the police first before you can buy each firearm and they are all individually registered.

I had a mate who's son was charged because they found an unregistered .177cal air rifle under the bed left over from before national gun laws, he now has a criminal record and is banned from owning firearms for life.

In Australia you are not allowed to defend yourself with a firearm or any deadly weapon.

Laik

Labby's are legal to posses in Australia aren't they? My friend wants a laser over 1mw, but my parents don't want me to sell him one and im kind of unsure about making him one anyway, but i like money haha. I don't wanna sell him a portable one because i know they are illegal for sure, but what about labby's?

Lab lasers have no limitations..
You can import, own and use lab lasers without any problems!

Also my suggestion is if you have any doubt about building or selling your friend one I'd stay far away from it..

If you need money get a job or pick up more shifts :)

Laik

Haha, good joke ;) I'm 14, so i don't have a job, my parents wont let me get one. I have to get at least B's for everything AGAIN, and then i can get a job.
I was just unsure because if he does do anything like annoy his neighbor or something, i could get in trouble, but with a labby can in trouble for selling it to him? Is it sellers responsibility if he missuses it? I highly doubt he will though, just in case. I could make him sign a contract?

Last edited: