Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers and BEER

Lowe

So one of the off reasons I'm getting into lasers is for my homebrewing I do at.... well home, any of you into microbrews and such may have had a beer and loved it and then had it again and it sucked or was even better, this COULD had been caused by sun light getting into the beer.

Ok I bet I lost someone already, UV rays from the sun can "skunk" a beer, this is why homebrewers and craftbrewers use brown glass, can, and keg mainly instead of being "pretty" and using green glass or clear.

With that being said, yeast is a living bacteria and I want to experiment with the use of lasers on the yeast and the beers I am brewing, its a long shot in the dark that I can infect the beer this was to create a "sour" but who knows til you try right?

I'd like to get any insight from anyone who has any input on this and even possibly what power laser you think I should use. The fermenting process in which I will have direct control over the brew with be in a glass carboy "the water tank you can get at the store and refill, except made of glass rather plastic"

Um, OK. I can see where you are going with this line of thought but...
As far as I can figure, the nature of the laser light will not be effective for your idea because the absorption levels for the target.
The laser light wouldn't penetrate very far into the container of fermenting liquid before being completely absorbed. If you try to pump up the level of the laser then the closer portion of the liquid would likely be "sanitized" by the laser. The exact opposite of what I think you are trying to do.
The fermenting process causing a bit of stirring from the CO2 bubbles could move the liquid just enough to almost completely sterilize the vessel and it's contents. When the levels of sterilization reach a low enough level the few remaining living yeast cells won't produce enough CO2 to "stir" the liquid. The resulting small internal column of living yeast in the liquid would certainly make for a greatly reduced fermentation process. This would require a much longer time to make your brew. The longer time would translate into a much greater opportunity for harmful and more light resistant bacteria to move in and infect your brew.
Not a good idea ! Unless you are thinking of giving it away to some enemies.
Perhaps just having a second lighting system in the area which has colored bulbs. Use it to see with while fermenting when you need to be in the same area. (Like photo darkrooms.)
But I don't think it will make much of a difference.
Temperature consistency is much more of a factor when brewing I think.
Light is a big issue more for the product when bottled. (Hence the dark bottles as you indicated.)Then you need to keep them in a cool dark place. (Coincidentally, refrigerators are dark inside MOST of the time, if you don't have kids that stand there with the door open...)
Hope that helps you out a little.
:undecided:

Lowe

Shorty, you are 100% right, I accuatually just had this conversation with a fellow brewer and we came up with the exact conclusion, then I saw you post it and you confirmed our idea on this, I think I would be better off just using a laser to etch my glass bottles rather try to conform the beer itself ;)

Sounds like you have an idea of what you are talking about with the beer and the lasers!!

Actually, I was primarily using some knowledge about wine making with a hint of a few shows on TV about beer making that I saw and then applying new info about the lasers from here.
I am allergic to beer.
:(
Not as bad as my father but it still becomes blood poisoning when I drink it.
(Remember though, that which does not kill you only serves to make you stronger.)
An exposure occasionally does offer a few beneficial effects. As long as the quantity is STRICTLY REGULATED.
:)
But I'm glad to offer a few words. If supported by others it would suggest that I might actually have learned a few things. Who says that an old dog can't learn new tricks ?

So thanks and you're welcome too.
:p

Lowe

OH NO!!!! allergic?!?! is it the yeast you are allergic to? if you know what it is, I can see if I can brew you something you CAN drink.

Something to do with the WHOLE brew.
Some home brews are almost fine.
Crappy Canadian mass produced (and chemically aged) is like rat poison.
Pure filtered US mass produced is, for the most part, tolerable in small quantities.

And the reason I know this is that my brother is a serious (you define that term yourself) beer drinkin' NFL fan that can be found on EVERY Sunday of the season in his "man-cave" rec room with the big screen on one game, smaller screens on other games, stats streaming on one of the computer screens in full surround sound...you get the picture ?
As it turns out, I am also extremely allergic to chlorine, as in like bleach. The chlorine allergy affects my respiratory system causing shortness of breath, swelling of the throat, dizziness, etc. (No public pools for me !) These effects are instant on exposure.
It turns out that where my brother lives that the tap water still has enough residual chlorine from treatment in it to cause me to react with it. Fortunately ,unless I stick my head in a toilet when I flush or sniff it as it comes out the tap the "fumes" don't travel far or with enough concentration to be an issue so washing my hands or other regular things isn't really a problem.
But to try to drink some out of a glass is like shoving a concentrated level of fumes under my nose and forcing me to choke on it.

The beer reaction is more subtle and usually is noticeable the next day or so.

The lesser of two evils by far.

After 20+ years of trying it out every now and then I've figured out the best alternatives.

BUT if you are suggesting some novel and fantastic Texas Home Brew for me to try out I would never turn it down.
Might even have to take it over to my brother's and taunt him about his limited selection !
:whistle:

Lowe

LOL< Absolutely man!!! I love a challenge for my brewing, I may have to try several brews and send to you and see if we can isolate the issue!! You brother sounds like my wife's brother, they would get along, and as for US mass produces beer "BMC = Bud, Miller, Coors" I don't touch those watered down things lol. I will be sure to keep you posted on my brews