Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser works for the half of what it can do, whats the problem?

hey,
my laser doesnt work properly...
the first days it just did what i had to do,
but when my batterie was empty and i had to recharge it, it didnt work anymore. (ofcourse with a full battery, if the charger did his job)
i thought it could be the problem from the battery (or charger) so i bought new batteries (and a new charger)
but now it only works half :S
it does give me a green dot, but this is maybe 1/5 of the real laser...
i can barely see it at the other side of the room
what is wrong with my laser?
could this be the problem of the batteries?
if so, wich one do you prefer to buy?

ps. its a SDlaser 301 100mW laser
i have the standart battery (ultrafire)
and then i bought 2 new batteries (trustfire: TrustFire Protected 18650 3.7V True 2400mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries (2-Pack) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme )

if you need some more information, just ask.
mind that im a newbie...

Last edited:

Looks to me like your laser is slowly dying from overdriving.

It's most likely a $30 "100mW" laser got off DX or similar site, correct?

Don't be surprised by it's premature death, cheap lasers from sites like those aren't known for their proper power levels and long life, because of very low quality of construction.

Looks to me like your laser is slowly dying from overdriving.

It's most likely a $30 "100mW" laser got off DX or similar site, correct?

Don't be surprised by it's premature death, cheap lasers from sites like those aren't known for their proper power levels and long life, because of very low quality of construction.
yes its from dx (they dont sell it anymore now..) and the price is also correct ;p
but just a few minits ago, i used my laser, and the laser worked again very good ( i dont know if it was its full power, but i could see the dot now very clear at the other side of the room)
but is there a way to rapair my laser, or is it useless now?

Hiemal

Huh. That sounds odd.

But, not unheard of; DPSS lasers are sometimes...finicky, when it comes to temp, humidity, a lot of factors.

My two cheap pen pointers from eBay have "warm" up periods where they will be low output, and then they'll slowly get to full brightness.

My nice green laser usually gets RIGHT to full output, at least from what I can tell. (might be because it's so high power I can't tell the difference?)

There's also mode hopping, which is when a DPSS laser outputs two or more "dots" rather than just one.

Or, your batteries may suck and may or may not need recharging... "xxxxfire" brand batteries aren't very good.

Huh. That sounds odd.

But, not unheard of; DPSS lasers are sometimes...finicky, when it comes to temp, humidity, a lot of factors.

My two cheap pen pointers from eBay have "warm" up periods where they will be low output, and then they'll slowly get to full brightness.

My nice green laser usually gets RIGHT to full output, at least from what I can tell. (might be because it's so high power I can't tell the difference?)

There's also mode hopping, which is when a DPSS laser outputs two or more "dots" rather than just one.

Or, your batteries may suck and may or may not need recharging... "xxxxfire" brand batteries aren't very good.
so buying new batteries could solve it?
first i had a ultrafire battery, which did it just fine.
but it doesnt matter if i put the old or the new one, still the same dot.
also, first i didnt need any warm-up time, i got it from dx which is 3 weeks shipping or something, that would mean that the conditions werent that good either??
but if i buy new batteries, would it solve the problem??
if so, which one do you prefer??

so buying new batteries could solve it?
first i had a ultrafire battery, which did it just fine.
but it doesnt matter if i put the old or the new one, still the same dot.
also, first i didnt need any warm-up time, i got it from dx which is 3 weeks shipping or something, that would mean that the conditions werent that good either??
but if i buy new batteries, would it solve the problem??
if so, which one do you prefer??

Probably not. Like Eudaimonium said, premature death is common among cheap lasers, especially from untrusted sources. IMHO, your only option is to buy another, either form lazerer.com, o-like.com, or here in the forum. Sorry bud.