Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser wavelenght colors

zeo07

hi all, awhile back i found a wavelength color chart here, where you type in the numbers of the wavelength and it show you the color of it,
but i cant seem to find it again. does anyone know where it is?
thank you

There is another one based of the RGB of LED monitors that does a better representation of the color than that one. But, I don't have a link to it as I can often just look at one of my lasers. I haven't really had much use for it.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I believe both tools are exactly the same. However it is quite interesting to use both tools due to the different backgrounds. The same colour against a black background can look slightly different from a white one.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Agreed, I was going to ask if anyone has used both, and if so, is one prefered, or more accurate, than the other?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I have the one Mosc007 linked bookmarked and on my signature. But that's my own preference. I don't think there is any difference in the values so ... Do you like a black background or a white background? :p

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I've always used the Acadamo converter with the white background, but now that I've seen the other with the black background, I kind of like that better.
I use it when I set the wavelength colors in my sig., and the black will more closely match the LPF background. :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, it’s a great tool for signatures. :)
Consider your self ‘converted’ over from the other tool. ;)

I'm glad you linked to both those formats. They do seem to be about equal to me, but neither one shows the color of laser light as accurate as I would want it to be. For instance, the difference between 650nm and 635nm in reality is not very different unless you have them side by side. Even then, they aren't that much different as shown in either link.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I do want to at some point try and make a more accurate calculator but simply don’t have the time. Plus I need more wavelengths available too. But it is generally quite good.

The source code is freely available for the converter. Doesn't seem to matter were you get it the code is always the same. I suspect both linked converters will be the same.

I used that code for the background in my B&W Tech Spectrometer Software.

I seem to remember using your software for the B&W Tek spectrometers and seeing the spectrum coming out in color. That is different than any OEM software I have used. But, it is fine as long as the software gives you a line you can measure. ;)