Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Star Projector Question

It's been a while since I posted in a forum so I apologize in advance for any formatting mistakes.

So, I was planning to build a modified version of the popular star projector designed by CanYouImagine and wanted to know if you can help me identify a key part of what makes this projector actually look good compared to other cheap star projectors.

As you can see in the video, the stars projected are different from your typical "star" laser head. They've different sizes and a more random scatter.

The star projector uses a green laser diode with a "beam multiplier" filter (I don't know how it's called, if someone knows I like to know the proper name).
After that, it uses your typical rotating disk that is more common in cheap star projectors for the moving star effect.

Picture of the assembly

Picture of the projected stars with the diode "multiplier filter" and the rotating disk attached.

Picture of the diode with the mysterious filter

Picture of the projected stars WITHOUT the rotating disk filter

The filter that is attached to the diode is the one that I'm looking for as it's the one that makes the stars look more "authentic".

The DIY version that I want to make would have different laser colors switchable (405nm, 488nm, and 532nm). Also, it would have a laser lumia aurora or maybe a LED RGB aurora/cloud.

The only part I'm missing is that star filter. Common sense tells me that it's custom and not commercially available, but I don't even have the proper keywords to look for it. If someone knows about this please let me know :)

Please post your questions or criticism about this modest project.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20190328_210225.jpg
    20190328_210225.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 0

What you are calling filters are diffraction gratings. These come in all sorts of repeating designs and can be found on eBay, if you want to search for them. Getting a full color display will be much more involved than just using a RGB laser, though.

Edit: after watching your video, it seems that they are only using the green laser for the stars and the blue and red lasers are providing the clouds of gas.

GSS

I think about 6 months ago "DTR" broke down and modded a projector. Yes "DTR":)
It might not be what you want but he's posted pic's..

What you are calling filters are diffraction gratings. These come in all sorts of repeating designs and can be found on eBay, if you want to search for them. Getting a full color display will be much more involved than just using a RGB laser, though.

Edit: after watching your video, it seems that they are only using the green laser for the stars and the blue and red lasers are providing the clouds of gas.

Paul,

Thank you very much for your reply and for the proper name!
I looked for a while and haven't found one that comes close to the one this star projector uses. The ones that I found are very symmetrical and repetitive. Anyway, I will keep looking since you pointed at the right direction (y)

The cloud of gas uses regular blue LEDs. Its very similar to the "Led Water Effect Light" method but this uses a smooth 60° convex lens to project the cloud.

I think about 6 months ago "DTR" broke down and modded a projector. Yes "DTR":)
It might not be what you want but he's posted pic's..

Even a noob like myself knows who DTR is 😄
I will look the thread in his post history, thanks.

Wren

Hi everyone, do you know what laser they are using in the Twilight build? I need to replace one.
Thank you.