Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser over water: what gives best reflection and minimal upsetting fish

Hi
Can anyone work out (or have any ideas about) what laser set up would be best reflection off a night ocean surface with minimal disturbance of the fish?
the aim is to see the shape of the oceans surface but without lighting up a darkened ocean or attracting the predators in particular.
If we are talking up to about a distance 200 m from the laser source.
Thanks,
David

I think all lasers would disturb the fish because more of the laser would pass trough the water than reflect.
I think fish would see red the hardest.

it depends on the water conditions. on a calm night, you might be ok with any laser, but on a choppier night, more light will refract instead of reflect. This is assuming you are at the shoreline or on a boat. If you are in the air, then most of the light will probably end up refracting.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Last edited:
I think with the curve of the earth the beam would not make it 200 miles. And you would need a very high power laser to project that far if you could.

Wait till a few pros chime in, they can give you a better idea.

I think with the curve of the earth the beam would not make it 200 miles. And you would need a very high power laser to project that far if you could.

Wait till a few pros chime in, they can give you a better idea.

I think he meant 200 meters, not 200 miles.

Objective is to try and surf at night.
But we sure as heck don't want to put up a beacon for sharks. Thinking that a laser maybe a better lighting option. Any thoughts? (Thanks very much for replying as it is: I didn't make the question very interesting, thinking back)

I don't think a laser is what your looking for. You need something else

Have you tried surfing at night. It's not hard after your eyes get adjusted. I have surfed at night, more then few times. Beaches seem to be pretty well lit up at night. The sand and the braking waves and foam all do a good job of reflecting any available moon light.

Thanks guys for your thoughts. Maybe a normal light will be enough especially on a full moon. Best I just give it a try. I will report back how it went. Thanks again.

Just go to a pond where the only type of fish is Gold Fish. They have a memory span of only 3 seconds so they might be a tad pissed off at you for 3 seconds, then forget allllll about it..