Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser newbie looking for 200mW hand-held green/532

I apologize if im not posting this to the right place - i'm new to the forums.:)
I recently acquired a 5mW green pen laser from a Chinese seller on Ebay.
It seems to have to warm up before it will beam at full strength .
I have to push the button a few times before it will come up to speed.
It does seem that the beam diverges? at a noticeable distance at night, outside when I aim to the horizon .
(yes I know not to aim at aircraft/law enforcement/people/houses/etc.)
:eek:
I want to upgrade to something brighter/more powerful such as 200mW ...
I've noticed there are a bunch of websites like gadgettown.com and dino something rather and wicked lasers selling reasonably priced 200mW green lasers...

Which is ideal for cost/quality ratio ??!!

:thanks:

Search is your friend!

see this post it might help a little bit http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/t...n how much you want to spend and the quality.

UPDATE :

acquired 215mW green Rayfoss from a member of the forum here and just got it today... very nice CNC looking construction/build and the key system very interesting ...

went out in back-yard and beamed up into the sky for awhile and noticed that the beam divergence is pretty noticeable at a distance (hard to say how far away it diverges but it's noticeable clearly ...)
There is a focusing ring that diffuses the beam into a wider/fatter beam but which does nothing really for the divergence ...I don't know if this is standard or a flaw ?
I can't stay that i'm doing precise technical scientific work because i'm not ... i'm just having fun and goofing with it but still, it makes me wonder if there exists a green laser that doesn't show any noticeable divergence when pointed at the horizon ?

It's definetly stronger/brighter than my 5mW pen green pointer that I paid $6 for on Ebay ...

Has me now curious to get a green that is more precise ? and more powerful in mW/wattage ...

Got my eyes/targets set on something in the 500+mW range !!!
Curious about the W.L. Arctic 1 watt blue lasers but I do like the bright visability of the green 532nm. beam ....

:beer:

X FLY

UPDATE :

acquired 215mW green Rayfoss from a member of the forum here and just got it today... very nice CNC looking construction/build and the key system very interesting ...

went out in back-yard and beamed up into the sky for awhile and noticed that the beam divergence is pretty noticeable at a distance (hard to say how far away it diverges but it's noticeable clearly ...)
There is a focusing ring that diffuses the beam into a wider/fatter beam but which does nothing really for the divergence ...I don't know if this is standard or a flaw ?
I can't stay that i'm doing precise technical scientific work because i'm not ... i'm just having fun and goofing with it but still, it makes me wonder if there exists a green laser that doesn't show any noticeable divergence when pointed at the horizon ?

It's definetly stronger/brighter than my 5mW pen green pointer that I paid $6 for on Ebay ...

Has me now curious to get a green that is more precise ? and more powerful in mW/wattage ...

Got my eyes/targets set on something in the 500+mW range !!!
Curious about the W.L. Arctic 1 watt blue lasers but I do like the bright visability of the green 532nm. beam ....

:beer:

DON'T get the arctic. The Spartan is 1000x better and cheaper. If you want to read my review click the link on my signature.

I would go with rayfoss.com

I am getting a 200mW green from them, and my friend has the same kind as I am getting, he likes it very much.

Edit of my post: The rayfoss laser is supposed to be like that, the ring is for the focus, which makes the beam wider, or thinner. And thats what makes it great for burning stuff, is the ability to focus it.

Last edited:
Yeah I bought the Rayfoss >200mW green hand-held from another member of the forums.
I've been tinkering with it and experimenting with that focus ring and it makes more sense to me , now after a few days of having it ... It's definetly high quality ! The housing/host is very solid and heavy duty/precise looking/feeling ... The beam is very solid/steady compared to a smaller 5mW pointer that I also have .
I personally don't care if I burn stuff with it or not --- i'm more interested in the beam being visible and et cetra ...