Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for Man OverBoard in the ocean

There is only one exemption. If you are a member of an approved astronomy club you can use them at astronomy meetings without a licence. What's weird though, There is no power limit. My 8 Watt Nubm44 is legal to use at the astronomy mettings.

Don't be too sure about that.
As you know I do astro photography and belong to one of the biggest astronomy clubs in Australia.
I had arranged to buy a Krypton Grooves from overseas, the seller even split the unit up into two separate packages and shipped them a few weeks apart.
The body arrived soon after but the head didn't show up, even after a month.
Then I get a letter from Customs that the head has been confiscated because it's greater than 1mW and unless I have a valid reason to own, they'd destroy it.
I filled out the forms explaining that I'm an astro photographer and I do sky tours for small groups, even provided evidence of my work and a letter from the astro society.
Nope, rejected and destroyed.
So don't rely on the vague wording of the law as it stands and for goodness sakes don't think you can justify an 8 Watt 'pointer' to the police thinking it's legal for astro work.
They'll get you if it's greater than 1mW or 5mW (depending in which state you live in) according to how they want to define the law.

RB

What if you drop the laser in water what if all equipment get wet and fail you can not predict anything you can drown in a pool if its going to happen it will happen 👾

What if you drop the laser in water what if all equipment get wet and fail you can not predict anything you can drown in a pool if its going to happen it will happen 👾
If it's a 7W laser the water will vapourise before you drown, but you'll end up with steam burns ..... bummer...

:ROFLMAO:

Don't be too sure about that.
As you know I do astro photography and belong to one of the biggest astronomy clubs in Australia.
I had arranged to buy a Krypton Grooves from overseas, the seller even split the unit up into two separate packages and shipped them a few weeks apart.
The body arrived soon after but the head didn't show up, even after a month.
Then I get a letter from Customs that the head has been confiscated because it's greater than 1mW and unless I have a valid reason to own, they'd destroy it.
I filled out the forms explaining that I'm an astro photographer and I do sky tours for small groups, even provided evidence of my work and a letter from the astro society.
Nope, rejected and destroyed.
So don't rely on the vague wording of the law as it stands and for goodness sakes don't think you can justify an 8 Watt 'pointer' to the police thinking it's legal for astro work.
They'll get you if it's greater than 1mW or 5mW (depending in which state you live in) according to how they want to define the law.

RB

That is correct. The exemption is only for the carrying and using. To import them you still need to get the proper authorisation permits.

I have looked at obtaining permits to import them but never went thru with it. The permit is issued by the Police. I did download and look thru the application forms.

The only time I had anything seized was a "Red Led Torch". Customs claimed it was a laser. After going over there head they finnaly released it and said no seizure notice will be kept on record. I found it quite funny, A Red Led Torch. I even got a refund from the Ebay seller because it never arrived. Took months to get it off customs.

Last edited:
Just curious. Is it illegal to own a laser pointer over 1 mW now? That would put you in a precarious position with your collection.

As long as I stay a member of the approved astronomy club they are legal to own and use at the astronomy club meeting. That is the only place I use them now.